Found Gold today but not nuggets! KINDA SPOOKY!

Duraflap

Apr 19, 2014
Rogue River Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites: 49er,prizem3,mx5,TDI
Garrett: ATPro
Fisher: Goldbug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was detecting today with my AT Pro on the Rogue River here in Oregon and was finding quite a few clad coins when I got a nice solid repeatable signal at the waters edge. Depth reading was 6 inches and I was working the pin pointer with every trowel full of dirt for the recovery. Wow! Gold! What a surprise! When I was cleaning the gold and could see exactly what it was I was pretty surprised. It was a solid gold tooth crown. After I finished checking out everything for several yards around I ended up with two crowns and a lead looking partial with three teeth impressions. As the situation sank in I kinda got spooked as one crown could have been a jet ski face plant but two and a partial. How weird a find is that? I ended up calling the state police once I got back home and they talked it all over amongst themselves and decided I could keep the gold as they felt that there was no way of knowing where to start to investigate the origin of this find. They did admit this is the strangest call they have ever received and from a detectorist at that.

20150306_194048_Richtone(HDR).jpg 20150306_194123_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Upvote 10

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's likely that the caps were just a part of a load of trash that got dumped into the river long ago. Occam's razor, ya know.

I'm not sure if the video is still around on youtube, but a dump digger found a small embossed jar which originally held 1 ounce of gold dental alloy that was partially filled with old gold crowns/fillings. Obviously, the dentist just threw the fillings away along with the rest of the garbage. And in a load of junk from a house cleanout, I found a very old gold-capped lower front incisor, with root and all that the dentist must have let the owner keep after it was yanked, so if the pieces weren't tossed by a dentist then they may have been pitched by the person whose mouth they were originally extracted from.

I don't get why people seem so creeped out by dental gold. It's pretty silly and devoid of common-sense in my opinion (a gold is a gold is a gold...) but what can ya do.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At least you tried to take a bite out of crime.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's likely that the caps were just a part of a load of trash that got dumped into the river long ago. Occam's razor, ya know.

I'm not sure if the video is still around on youtube, but a dump digger found a small embossed jar which originally held 1 ounce of gold dental alloy that was partially filled with old gold crowns/fillings. Obviously, the dentist just threw the fillings away along with the rest of the garbage. And in a load of junk from a house cleanout, I found a very old gold-capped lower front incisor, with root and all that the dentist must have let the owner keep after it was yanked, so if the pieces weren't tossed by a dentist then they may have been pitched by the person whose mouth they were originally extracted from.

I don't get why people seem so creeped out by dental gold. It's pretty silly and devoid of common-sense in my opinion (a gold is a gold is a gold...) but what can ya do.

Yeah but logic isn't as fun as letting your mind run wild with other scenarios.

OP
OP
D

Duraflap

Apr 19, 2014
Rogue River Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites: 49er,prizem3,mx5,TDI
Garrett: ATPro
Fisher: Goldbug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I went back Sat and searched more thoroughly the immediate area to be certain there wasn't anything that was missed that might indicate malice. I took the AT Pro into the water and spent quit a bit of time searching but didn't find anything relative to this mystery. Then researched the already searched beach with my MX5 for an additional second look. Good news is nothing new.
On a side note, I did find in the water where someone had apparently seeded the sand bar about 10 feet out with pennies. I recovered 19 all together. All bright and shiny. It was entertaining but I wish they had used quarters....:happysmiley:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread