✅ SOLVED Found in River while Gold mining / what is it?

WesternMassGold

Dec 20, 2013
Westfield,Ma
Detector(s) used
Garret super sluice pan,Modified Royal folding sluice w/ Goldhog mats
Grizzly Gold Trap Explorer Sluice,Falcon MD 20 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Attachments

• Back side.jpg
    Back side.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 427

mjak

Feb 18, 2007
I am fascinated by this specimen. I do not believe it to be glasfhalt, as it looks like actually crystals to me and not glass and the colors are much deeper and dense in the crystals
than glass would be. I am thinking it is some kind of conglomerate possible with a hematite family base. However, is curious that the geologists say it is not a rock. With out
seeing it in person I would have to defer to there opinion but It sure does look like crystals in matrix of some sort to me.

mjak

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

WesternMassGold

Dec 20, 2013
Westfield,Ma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After having my pics posted in some other forums it appears we have a consensus on the identity of my rock . There is a strong possibility that it is natural Silicon carbide, extremely rare on earth but very common in space originating from outside our solar system.Value unknown.It can be manufactured for various applications. natural is very rare.
Silicon-Carbide-Abrasive.jpg 800px-blw_carborundum_crystals.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
My first thought was also asphalt that's been weathered. Is there a paved road nearby ? Have you tried the suggestion of putting a torch to it to see if it softens or have you convinced yourself it's some extremely rare rock from outer space ? I assume that's the case since you marked this "solved"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

WesternMassGold

Dec 20, 2013
Westfield,Ma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have not heated it yet and i'm still bringing it to a gem show in august but the Silicon carbide explanation seems to be the most reasonable, even tho i dont think its worth much its still a pretty piece to hang on to.
And again its already determined not to be Asphalt according to some geology Professors i have talked to.
And by the way , Gold comes from outer space too, from Super Novas ejected and collected by gravity when the earth formed. so there is more space stuff here than u think.:goldbar:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Gold is formed from sulfide gases, that's the modern theory. Does gold occur in meteorites, yes, where did it come from, some say the Earth. Oh, and good luck with your space rock...;).

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread