diggindave

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2015
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went into the woods left of my home, which is my property. I was mainly picking up Iron signals until I went next to this big, odd looking tree and I suddenly got a Nickel signal according to my Fisher F2. Since I kept getting low toned signals, I decided to dig it up, I usually don't dig Nickel signals but I am glad I did. So I dug for at least 30 seconds and the hole was at least 6 inches deep. I stuck my pin pointer down in said hole and it went it off! I saw the rim of the object and I knew right off the bat what it was. As I plucked it out of the hole there was dirt all over it, I thought it was a Buffalo Nickel since it was toned like one. But as I brushed the dirt off gently, I saw the stars on the coin. I was shocked. "V Nickel!" I said out loud. I checked for a date. 1906! "Wow!" I said. I looked in the hole again to make sure there was more in there but there was nothing else. After detecting for 30 more minutes, I found 2 more items: A 1953 D wheat cent and something for a TV (what I'm guessing). After I got home, I quickly put the V Nickel in a holder and then I got to thinking. Why was a V Nickel and a wheat cent doing back there in those woods? Either way, I was still happy that I dug up that Nickel. :)

029.PNG 030.PNG 032.PNG 033.JPG

Upvote 3

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would of been a shotgun shell if I dug it. Congratulations:thumbsup:

imagearhead

Sep 15, 2012
Cincinnati OHIO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250. 6.5x9 coil
Bounty Hunters Quick Silver2
Bose, over the ear noise reduction and volume control headphones wireless.
Garrett propointer.. I love the new one.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. I've only found one V nickel and it was so toasted that I originally thought it to be just an old button. Yours, however, is in really nice condition. Awesome coin. And keep your coil swinging too because Ky. has lots of history hiding just inches under our feet. Good luck on locating many more.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very nice V nickle, still looking for my first, congrats

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent find for sure. V nickels in that condition aren't found that often.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread