Found Neat Vintage Owen E Baab Glass Ink Well Jar - PAT# 1759866

4Nines

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2010
TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We took a walk on the back part of our property yesterday after Christmas lunch and I was surprised when I looked down and saw a nice glass jar. When I picked it up I was amazed to see that it had a little glass divider formed inside of it. I had never seen anything like it before and I found it odd that it was just laying out on the side of the hill of my 10-acre property. We typically hunt Indian artifacts and flint stones so finding a well-preserved glass bottle like this was surprising. Especially, after doing some research on the patent number and finding out that it's an old ink bottle! I'm perplexed how it ended up where it did and I'm anxious to go back to the same area and see if I can find anything else interesting. I'm going to swing my detector around the area where I found it and hope that I can find the lid to it.

IMG_0397.jpeg

IMG_0396.jpeg

IMG_0398.jpeg

IMG_0399.jpeg

OP
OP
4Nines

4Nines

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2010
TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O E. RAAB May 27, 1930.

BOTTLE Filed Nov. 9, 1927 Patented May 27, 1930 OWEN E. RAAIB, OF SEATTLE, WASHINGTON I mm Application filed November 9, 1927. Serial No. 282,020.

Bottle and well in which the well is shaped and proportioned, and so positioned Within the bottle that is especially adapted to serve as an ink well into which a pen may be.

dipped, the well being small and narrow so that a small amountof ink will fill it to a depth sufiicient to submerge the'entire point portion of the average pen when the pen 1s inserted therein and the upper edge of the well being positioned and arranged so as to serve as a stop against which the end of the pen holder may strike to prevent the pen from I being dipped too deep; to prevent the point of the pen from striking the bottom of the well and to prevent the end of the pen holdor from dipping into the ink.

Another object is to provide a combined bottle and well in which the well is quickly and easily filled by applying the cap or cork and tilting or inverting the bottle.

Another object is to curve and slope the side wall which divides the well from the remainder of the bottle in such a manner as to make is possible to pick up, in the well, the last ink in the bottle when the bottle is almost empty and to further curve said side wall in such a manner that it will facilitate the flowing of ink into thewell and at the same time afford the maximum amount of room or clearance through which a fountain pen may be inserted into the bottle for the purpose of filling.

A still further object is to provide a well of this nature having two or more notches in its top edge which permit the well to fill readily when the cap or stopper: is placed thereon and caused to rest on the top edge of the well and the bottle is tipped sidewise or partially inverted.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s pretty cool. I hope there are more goodies waiting for you where you found it.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What state did you find it in?
As a site administrator I think you should make a rule that everyone must include their location when they join. If you did that, we wouldn’t have to ask “where did you find it” all the time! If anyone agrees with me, please give me a “like”.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
What state did you find it in?
As a site administrator I think you should make a rule that everyone must include their location when they join. If you did that, we wouldn’t have to ask “where did you find it” all the time! If anyone agrees with me, please give me a “like”.
Absolutely! I realize some folks worry about safety issues, but we don’t need street addresses. “Central Oregon” or even “Oregon” would work for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions