Found these near Morristown/Wickenburg , dont know what the other metal is.

PHANTZM

Tenderfoot
Jan 24, 2016
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo , X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got these prospecting out in the San Domingo Wash area, and have not seen the gold embedded with anything before. Any insight for a fledgling prospector?

IMG_0091.JPG IMG_0092.JPG

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The black looks like hematite which is pretty typical for that area. The flatness of the gold is unusual for San Domingo, most of the gold is chunky there. Looks you cleaned the gold with acid or whink.

Did you go to Bill's outing there on Jackass Flats this weekend?

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
PHANTZM

PHANTZM

Tenderfoot
Jan 24, 2016
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not go to the outing up there at JAF. The daughter and I were out by Morristown.

All I did to clean the gold was put it in a larger vial with water and a bit of dish soap and shake it vigorously for a few seconds. Then I rinsed it well with filtered water. There is some chunky stuff, some of the gold is from Lynx Creek and up near Big Bug Creek as well. I meant to keep it separate but got a bit tired and put it all together with my older findings.
:icon_scratch:
Hopefully next time I remember to keep them separated.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jackass flats is about two miles from Morristown just off Castle Hot Springs road. If you went in to San Domingo that way you passed a bunch of rough looking old drunks on the right. :laughing7: That was Bill's outing.

I didn't make it to Bill's outing this time. I live just down the road and I don't drink so I didn't miss anything but a few old friends - most of whom stopped by the house while they were in the State. There are some very knowledgeable prospectors from all over the United States at Bill's outings and they are family friendly so you might consider stopping by next time.

Heavy Pans

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like the food was as good as the drink!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like the food was as good as the drink!

I'm just kidding about the old drunk thing. Most of them aren't that old - they just look like it. :laughing7:

I will caution you not to let Shep know if you get a nugget larger than an ounce. That Cabo Wabo is a dangerous initiation rite. :cat:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
PHANTZM

PHANTZM

Tenderfoot
Jan 24, 2016
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jackass flats is about two miles from Morristown just off Castle Hot Springs road. If you went in to San Domingo that way you passed a bunch of rough looking old drunks on the right. :laughing7: That was Bill's outing.

I didn't make it to Bill's outing this time. I live just down the road and I don't drink so I didn't miss anything but a few old friends - most of whom stopped by the house while they were in the State. There are some very knowledgeable prospectors from all over the United States at Bill's outings and they are family friendly so you might consider stopping by next time.

Heavy Pans

I did see a couple really large groups, and for some reason I was thinking Jackass Flats was up near Flagstaff or maybe Cottonwood. I will have to make note that there is another area by that name.

I'm guessing that I may have to relearn some of my Arizona location names.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I did see a couple really large groups, and for some reason I was thinking Jackass Flats was up near Flagstaff or maybe Cottonwood. I will have to make note that there is another area by that name.

I'm guessing that I may have to relearn some of my Arizona location names.

There is a large metal jackass on the hill above Little San Domingo next to the flat there. Not sure why they call it Jackass Flats? :icon_scratch:

Heavy Pans

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That some pretty big stuff you have there , It looks nice , It has a few inpurities . I would say who cares , I would like too find that .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread