images

jcc

Nov 15, 2018
Portage, MI
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TR550-D
Primary Interest:
Other
The members of this site are pretty jaded and once a month someone comes looking for suckers. If I'm going to take a detecting vacation it will be comfortably warm and have sand that scoops easily and an actual probability of some relatively modern treasure. 8-)

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Doubt it.

There’s a few other websites I’m sure they’re spending their resources on. Who would waste their time targeting grumpy old men that stomp around the woods muttering to themselves and digging small holes while swinging a glorified weed whacker? 🤣
glorified weed whacker you say? If mine could whack weeds then at least I'd have a good use for it :)

Based on all the previous posts ... Had it been dug previously to bury something it should be amenable to re digging. But even so I think many here are overly optimistic about moving all that material in a day by hand tools, Even if half was only moved over as you swept across methodically. Unless you are Paul Bunyan ...

5 foot is kinda deep for caving materials ... even stepping ( or sloping at the angle of repose for the materials) would require some over digging. If the rest of the area had not also been dug and refilled - just remove the recent surface cover and reveal the former excavation location. Many subsurface things have been found this way. If they dropped it in a post hole excavation that is how you get it. If they dug an inverted pyramid, you follow that never bothering to mess with the formerly undisturbed native material. Because why?

But since this treasure is not known to actually exist it might be a good idea to bring a bucket of fresh fairy dust to sprinkle very evenly over the area before you get started. That should coalesce into a big x to mark the spot, if the moon is right.

If there were 60 of them at the $10 variety we'd be looking for 30 ounces melt min. The highest price I have seen for the best example was $336,000 USD.

Douglas Winter Numismatics (DWN), based in Portland, recently purchased the single finest known example of the rare 1849 Oregon “Beaver” five-dollar gold piece, graded MS62 by PCGS. The firm bought this coin at the recently-held Stack’s Bowers August 2020 auction acting as an agent for a Southern California collector. The final price realized was $336,000 USD, which is believed to be a record price for this coveted and historic issue.

Are these in mint state? And the rarity factor was already discussed if you have a bunch. A slow release to the market starting with mediocre quality and increasingly better examples would be the way to go with never divulging your reserve quantity.

Need a cover story? (assuming you don't have rights to where they are now) Buy some cheap land and be seen out there detecting and digging day and night then claim to find one every now and then.

After a few sales ( or even the first) buy a small Kubota shallow back hoe tractor and make a huge show of it as if they are randomly sprinkled about, never having found the next until the current auction ends. Such a lucky guy !!!

Pay your taxes and count your blessings. No need for security expenses on the site. Let the thieves play all they want, they will never find anything because they are all in your basement safe or bank deposit box. But do report trespassers as if you cared :)

If they are watching you real close have a false pants pocket and let one fall down the inside of your pant leg then find it where you are poking around. Rush off the site and get it to PCGS to be graded for the next auction listing. If you think you are in danger? just don't find one that day when the creepy folks are around. Besides you don't need to have every find witnessed once you have established a pattern on your gold mine :)

Any more questions? :D

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You wouldnt have to worry about the Feds if youre on private property.
People are too paranoid about this stuff.
People have been recovering treasures forever and the last thing you need to worry about is the flunkies in the govt agencies. They are always 10 steps behind at everything.

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found this thread, and I want to thank all who have contributed to it, including the OP, it has been very entertaining. I wonder if that was the actual purpose of the original post. He probably is a guy with the kind of sense of humor who would let out a big SBD fart at a party and then stand back to watch everyone eyeball each other.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ryan was only here one time, he hasn't been back since 12/5/2022

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Troy Shadow X5
Tesoro Vaquero
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Ryanc,
If you found your treasure and you are now laying on some caribean beach enjoying a margarita...Could you explain a couple of questions I have rolling around in my head?
Why a hole 10'X10'?...when 60 coins could fit in a shoe box?
Who back at the time of minting would bury 60 gold $5.00 or $ 10.00 coins as they weere then only worth "face value"

Oregon minted California gold into approximately 6,000 five-dollar coins and 2,850 ten-dollar coins. The company’s coins of solid gold were quickly recognized as trustworthy currency.

Is this treasure an old treasure or new?

Beaver money rarely appears in the numismatic marketplace. A five-dollar coin sold in 2006 for $125,000; another was sold for more than $257,000 in 2015.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread