Fragment from a HUGE French Rev War 200 pound mortar shell!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
No, I didn't find this amazing relic myself, but it was very generously given to me by a friend recently. This is from a 13", 200 lb French mortar shell with the telltale raised flange lip, and these were the largest size projectiles in use at the time. This small piece, which also reveals the fuse location, weighs in at a whopping 14 lbs. It was found near a sunken British warship in the river just off Yorktown, and was either fired from a French land-based siege gun, or from a French navy vessel in the river that was blocking the escape route of the British and firing upon their ships during the last days of the Rev War in Oct 1781. In addition to the pics of the actual fragment, I'm including a couple images I found on the web showing what a complete example would look like. My fragment would have come from a mortar shell identical to the large flanged one on the far right in the pic. Not sure if I'm going to use electrolysis on it since its survived quite well out of the water for many years, but hope to make that decision soon. Anyway, wanted to share this cool piece of history with everyone.

Attachments

• french RW cannonball1.jpg
    french RW cannonball1.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 160
  • french RW cannonball2.jpg
    french RW cannonball2.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 148
  • french RW cannonball2a.jpg
    french RW cannonball2a.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 160
  • french RW cannonball4.jpg
    french RW cannonball4.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 196
  • french RW cannonball5.jpg
    french RW cannonball5.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:
Upvote 9

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome Bill, & I really like that display around your fireplace.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great ID and eye as usual Bill. How long were you sitting there scratching your head before you knew? Phenomenal piece and thanks for that Rev. history anecdote!

Happy New year bud

Steve

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice frag off a lip[ ball Bill!

Bill that's not just a frag off a 13 inch mortar ball .. that's a frag off what is known as a lip ball. I have a perfect specimen on my hearth as well as several other 13 inch mortar balls and some smaller ones. It is the most rare mortar ball one could hope to dig. Mine is roughly 10 inches and from looking at yours I think yours is too. (I think they only came in this size at Yorktown although I may be wrong). A complete lip ball is worth 2500!!! Most mortar balls did not have that protrusion at the top. That was placed there in an attempt to to keep the wooden fuse from blowing out once fired but they quickly figured out it really didn't help with any better ratio. It actually looks like lips on an intact mortar ball, hence the name .What an awesome gift your friend gave you!!

Last edited:

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ! That is truly awesome ! Thanks for sharing !

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! That piece of metal literally helped forge this nation, so cool! Awesome friend to have given you that :icon_thumleft:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Pretty cool!
They remind me of all those mortar frags that Romeo-1 has collected over the past few years in his area, although his aren't a connection to the Revolutionary War, they are basically the same technology

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a neat piece of history Bill and one can only imagine the role it played at Yorktown.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome mortar fragment Bill! I can imagine that tearing apart a ships hull... but I cant imagine how loud that thing must have been when it went off. ha

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
A very generous gift with immense historical significance. Great post Bill, always nice to learn something new.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the best "relics" I remember seeing since I've been visiting this site.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS don't touch that thing please it is way too awesome. Leave it just like it is . It is perfect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread