Franklin, North Carolina

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I plan on camping, hiking and gem mining around Franklin the first part of June.
I've never been there and would like anyone's input on the area.

I especially would like info about primitive camping along gem producing creeks.
I'm not in to the usual "Tourist Trap Sites," although I'll probably visit them for grins and giggles....

Best Wishes,

Scott

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Scott: To my knowledge there is only one dig you own native material mine and that is Mason's Ruby & Sapphire Mine, not to be confused with Mason Mountain Ruby Mine. There is another native material mine Cherokee Ruby & Sapphire Mine but they dig the material for you. I live within driving distance but stayed in a motel so didn't check out camping, etc. maybe someone else could help you with that. Some of the other mines may also include some native material but may enhance with gems from other locations. It's been a while since I was there but think what I told you still holds true. Good luck and enjoy your time in our area, please take time to drive hwy 64 from Franklin over to Highlands through Cullasaja Gorge and view the beautiful scenery and waterfalls, my Grandfather was born and lived in that area.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scott: To my knowledge there is only one dig you own native material mine and that is Mason's Ruby & Sapphire Mine, not to be confused with Mason Mountain Ruby Mine. There is another native material mine Cherokee Ruby & Sapphire Mine but they dig the material for you. I live within driving distance but stayed in a motel so didn't check out camping, etc. maybe someone else could help you with that. Some of the other mines may also include some native material but may enhance with gems from other locations. It's been a while since I was there but think what I told you still holds true. Good luck and enjoy your time in our area, please take time to drive hwy 64 from Franklin over to Highlands through Cullasaja Gorge and view the beautiful scenery and waterfalls, my Grandfather was born and lived in that area.

Thanks, Friend!
I certainly will investigate the sites that you mention.
I love Nature and my journey is more about camping in the wilderness and the wonders to be experienced of the area.

As I stated, I live near Dahlonega, Georgia, and the gold there, and I am aware of "salted" opportunities! LOL!

Tourist Traps are intended to, well,
Trap Tourists and take their money!

Be Well, my Friend!

Scott

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Luck AU24K hope you score some good stuff. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was there in the 1970's. There were a lot more mines open then, and a lot had native materials in them. A lot have exhausted their material and closed. Good luck, and don't forget the rock shops. They're fun and there are/were some gold panning opportunities not that far away.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread