Freebie 1964 Dime

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a 1964 dime in our local credit union counter. so I guess our counter spits out the silver too, which worked great for me. A free $2.50 is always nice. I turned in all my halves, making a loan payment, sticking an additional 60 bucks into our propane refil account and I still have about 250 dollars on hand. Told the lady teller that they were from my grandma. She probably didn't believe me but the weird thing was that she did all the work and at the end asked for my ID. I mean why didn't she ask me at the beginning for my membership card? Hmmm... Well, I swung by my LCS and picked up 4 halves for 50 bucks. and got two quarter tubes for free. With my upcoming paycheck I will have an additonal 250 and I am hoping to get two boxes of dimes and really really hopeing that I can find some silver. I was going to buy some pure ounces but they were charging 36 dollars for each ounces and at the time silver was at $33.22. My math is not working today so is that a good deal or try to widdle them down a couple of dollars?

Hugs and Smiles,
garoulady

Upvote 0

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
4 halves for $50?
a ounce pure for 36$?
Seems like they're trying to get some extra dollars off you!
The Bank would like to know your answer.. Do you accept the offer?
-SMASHES BUTTON- NO DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wicka :p

Pipster

Mar 8, 2007
denver
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, vision v3i,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it is a engelhard bar or round 36 ain't bad i have bought 3 over spot for name but i would never do it on cull random holiday b.s. silver .50 $1 on junk and 2-3 is fair on name

Dark

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Assuming the halves you bought were 90%, you paid a little over spot, but not too bad.
$36 for an ounce round is fair if we are talking ASE's or Maples. If it is a generic round then I would say the premium is a little high.

If your coin shop is charging you over spot for 90% you should really check out craigslist.
I bought about $3k worth of dimes, quarters, and halves for a bit over $2500 less than a month ago.
The guy was happy to get rid of them and the majority of the coins he gave me were in beautiful condition.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
The halves I bought were 90%. They were selling them at 12.50 apiece and gave me two quarter tubes free. The 36 dollars was just for the rounds, no ASE or maples. My shock that I hadn't realized till now was the morgans and liberty dollars were only 72 percent silver, or at least that's what they told me and they wanted 36 dollars each. One had a hole in it, dated 18 something and they said they would sell that for 25 bucks. I took two ben franklin halves instead. Had my mom waiting in the car and we both wanted to head home. I kinda interrupted them in the middle of them doing a assessment of silverage from another customer. My ears tingled with the sweet music of clinking silverage. ::whimpers:: If I had had time I would have watched and waited. They might have given me a good deal on them. Bummer. I have friday off, so I might zip in and take a closer look or buy more silver. Oh, BTW I did find out that they will buy wheaties for a 1 1/2 cents for each wheatie. I am keeping a 1910 that I found but other than that nothing really stood out.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, unless those Morgans and Liberties were key dates, they were trying to get you to pay $11 over melt. The halves were only about .50 over melt so those were a better deal. Also, the Morgans and Liberty dollars are 90%. You might want to find another place to do business. Sounds like they are trying to take advantage of people.

Dark

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The halves I bought were 90%. They were selling them at 12.50 apiece and gave me two quarter tubes free. The 36 dollars was just for the rounds, no ASE or maples. My shock that I hadn't realized till now was the morgans and liberty dollars were only 72 percent silver, or at least that's what they told me and they wanted 36 dollars each. One had a hole in it, dated 18 something and they said they would sell that for 25 bucks. I took two ben franklin halves instead. Had my mom waiting in the car and we both wanted to head home. I kinda interrupted them in the middle of them doing a assessment of silverage from another customer. My ears tingled with the sweet music of clinking silverage. ::whimpers:: If I had had time I would have watched and waited. They might have given me a good deal on them. Bummer. I have friday off, so I might zip in and take a closer look or buy more silver. Oh, BTW I did find out that they will buy wheaties for a 1 1/2 cents for each wheatie. I am keeping a 1910 that I found but other than that nothing really stood out.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

Are you sure they didnt say that morgans are 0.77 troy ounces of silver? Because they were still 90% silver.
If you are investing in the silver METAL don't invest in old old coins with numismatic value because of course you are going to pay over spot for them!
Buy some American Silver Eagles for spot + 3.50 and be done with it if you must go through a coin shop.
Don't let them try to sell you anything else, because they are clearly not very newbie friendly.
Remember Garou, even though you like to educate other people on silver, the fact of the matter is there are a lot of people who will take whatever profit they can from you; even if it means being dishonest.
Go into the coin shop. Tell him exactly what you want and what you are willing to pay.
If he tries to sell you some stupid looking generic round for a premium just turn around and leave.

Dark

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like you need a new LCS. 4 halves for $50 is way too much.

Its less than $2.00 over spot.
Not that bad.
Could even be a good deal if they were franklins or walkers.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
they were franklins and walkers. And they did say .77, sorry about that. I normally don't buy old morgans or liberties anyways. I got some a looong time ago with my dad and was curious at what they were selling at. so the highest I should pay for ASE's is 2 to 3.50 over spot? I even asked them about their melt bin and they pointed out their trays that held not too many halves, morgans and liberties,dimes, etc. They did give me a good deal on a 1921 dollar piece that I carry with me. She was so beaten up (their words not mine) that they gave her to me for 25 bucks last year. She only has a few dents around the edge but she's nice looking. Normally when I go there to buy silver, I usually get just quarters, halves and maybe the occasional dime to round it up. I have a 2001 and 2003 ASE. I also have 1879, 2X1899,2X 1890, 1921, and a 1922 that has a big black spot on the right like someone put their cigerette out on it.

On another subject has anyone bought the 1/10th silver fractionals? I saw some on youtube and checked the website. Sadly you have to buy 100 oz minimum which is way out of my price range. And has anyone seen the 1 gram fractionals on amazon? I about died laughing. the seller, well one of them, was offering them for 1 penny but here's the catch. they wanted 5 bucks for shipping!! Come on, really? Even I know that's a joke. It would have been nice to have some that size but to pay for 5 dollars shipping. eesh..

anyways, talk to you all laters.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
I'd say you got an OK price for Walkers, not great, but OK. I'd recommend asking for a better price especially if you do a lot of business with them. Coin shops usually will have a little room to move on their prices, don't be shy, just ask. Their spread on buy,sell prices for junk silver is probably pretty good size.

Either way if you like the coins, that's all that matters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread