Garage clean out: is this a real 14k "gold card?"

txpathfinder

Feb 4, 2008
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garage clean out: is this a real 14k "gold card?"

Hi gang, I am a metal detectorist who does estate sales for a living. Tonight I found this in a box going through the garage of a house, the contents of which I have been commissioned to sell. My question is: is it reasonable to believe that this is solid 14K gold and second what is the best method for selling this? IT IS MARKED; SJBCO 14K and is a lifetime membership card to the National Association of Hotel Accountants dated 1961. That is a penny to the right in the first photos and this thing is the size of an ID card like a license or a bus pass, etc.
p.s. I do not have a jewelers scale but could go to a jeweler tomorrow to have it weighed. i have not sold scrap gold before so I appreciate the advice of the board. Thanks to all in advance

Attachments

• MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 540
  • MVC-010S.JPG
    MVC-010S.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 537
  • MVC-011S.JPG
    MVC-011S.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 535

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Re: Garage clean out: is this a real 14k "gold card?"

dont sell it to a pawn shop as they will screw you but they can test it to see if its correct in karat.

otherwise, sell it to a scraper such as myself or any number of others.

Best way is to sell it by assay where its refined out, depending on how heavy it is.

Id suggest ebay but many may have a hard time trusting the stamp on it, you dont see 14k gold cards out there. So its kinda weird,

If you get a weight on it. shoot me an email and if its gold i can make you an offer.

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would contact the association that issued it.
May be of greater historical value of some kind rather then melt value.
considering the size and thickness, i can believe its worth a whole lot
if the K was higher, maybe

OP
OP
T

txpathfinder

Feb 4, 2008
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

I want to tell everyone the outcome of my experience with this card with the belief that my experience can be of assistance to someone who finds themselves in a similar situation. I spoke to several people and after guessing at what it weighed and what it could be worth I finally brought it to my local watch and jewelery place who told me it weighed 30.2 grams (1 ounce.) They offered me $250. for it. I got in touch with jewelerDave and he offered me $420 outright and $460 if it assayed pure (or something to that effect!) Well after having it weighed and before getting the offer from Dave I put it on Ebay with a $250. reserve (what the local gold buyer offered me!)- Final outcome: it ended up selling on ebay for right around the upper end of what Dave offered me. Based on this experience I will likely be sending my scrap gold and sterling to Dave for his buy price and avoid listing on ebay unless I think it could have greater intrinsic worth. It seems that Jewelerdave is an insider connection and if it all checks out my partner and I will be doing a lot of business with him. Right now my partner is sending Dave a quantity of scrap gold from our current sale. I will report back on our experience.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread