diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took a little time for myself to go rockhounding. Definitely one of my favorite pastimes. I found the topaz in the road up in the Tarryall mts of Colorado. They are a little road worn but still nice to get out and find some. My brother brought me to a little known garnet area down toward Canyon City. Nothing better than running around in the Rocky Mountains! 9742E863-AE9E-4F08-B390-4529C1C1CAFC.jpeg A8AEF046-24CD-4606-A673-B8BA341CEB82.jpeg 8913CFE5-7F72-4958-9F1A-1CFDBEC9CEC0.jpeg They are sure red and pretty! The Necklace piece was a piece of blue topaz I found years ago that I made for my wife. Happy Hunting!!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I see several garnets that are gemmy. Nice! Are you gonna have some of them cut?

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see several garnets that are gemmy. Nice! Are you gonna have some of them cut?

my immediate thoughts as well, looks like a few real nice ones in there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are so small I don’t know it it would be worth it. They are less than 2mm. They are easy to collect and some of them are such beautiful red! If it would be worth it to have some of them cut I would do it. Anybody do any faceting that might trade for some stones? They would make great accent pieces to other jewelry. I am thinking of panning them out of the road where they are plentiful! Thanks for the posts!

Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a great time !! Congrats.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a great time !! Congrats.

Thanks Bart, there is something about hunting for rocks or whatever that I can’t get enough of!

Those garnets are gorgeous man, great haul!! Some of them look like perfect dodecahedrons too, I lorve fully formed crystals 8-)

Thanks stdenis I might try to set a few the way they are!!

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They are so small I don’t know it it would be worth it. They are less than 2mm. They are easy to collect and some of them are such beautiful red! If it would be worth it to have some of them cut I would do it. Anybody do any faceting that might trade for some stones? They would make great accent pieces to other jewelry. I am thinking of panning them out of the road where they are plentiful! Thanks for the posts!

Nah, for a me it should be around 5 mm or 1 gram of size to be worthwhile. There still are cutting houses that could cut them in the east.
Somehow they looked bigger in the pics. :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread