Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. I'm posting this in the Gold Prospecting section because I found this rock over the weekend while gold prospecting at Contrary Creek, VA.

(Unless I'm way off) It's a chunk of mica with a string of garnets running right through it. I love seeing minerals in their "natural state"; I can stare at pictures of gold veins in quartz all day (sadly I haven't found a chunk of that yet, but I'm always looking). I think this rock is beautiful.

I'd like to preserve it for display. I know mica is super soft and this thing will probably disintegrate quickly if I don't do anything. It's already falling apart - I feel lucky to have gotten it home.

So: what advice do you have for a) cleaning the little garnets so they're more visible but without destroying the host mica, and b) preserving the whole thing so it won't crumble?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

- Brian

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1461587266.426336.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1461587294.405773.jpg

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wouldn't do anything to it, other than make a clear plastic case to show it. Are you sure they're garnets? Some of them look hexagonal to me....might be rubies, or sapphires. In any case...really nice specimen
Jim

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its more of a schist than mica, depends on what your going to do with it, if its a display it's probably not going to be moved much
you could clean it let it dry once its dry and out of the weather it should stabilize then hi-lite the garnet with some clear nail polish

Last edited:

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have that up here it gets real crumbly when it dries. I would put a coat or two of clear epoxy like they use on bar tops/gym floors.

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you everyone for your suggestions.
I'm going to try to gently rinse the sand off of the mica schist and the garnets, and after it dries I'll try a clear epoxy. I'll post pictures after - no matter what the results.

- Brian

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool and thanks for sharing. I suspect that winner58 has the correct answer, but would worry that NH.Nugget might be right. If it were me, I would let it sit for a long while to dry and take any next steps after I see what happens. In fact, you don't want to spray anything on it before all the moisture is out, for fear of the clear spray getting cloudy. While I don't think it will occur, the worst thing that can happen from this approach is it completely falls apart and you have some nice red gems...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread