Garrett AT3 & AT4 water detector.

hawk-run

Feb 24, 2010
I am from Gods Country
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT Garrett ACE 250 & Pro Pointer
Garrett AT3 & AT4 water detector.

I had a chance to get a AT3 and also a AT4 .................. So i called Garrett and they said they do not make coils that will work on them now ............. ....... And they can only repair them if they have any parts left to use in them so they might not be able to repair them ............................ So i let someone else buy them for i checked back and they were gone................. To bad Garrett will not make a VLF water detector a nice VLF water detector you can change coils on your self............ That would be a big selling point to be able to change the coil your self...........................not haveing to send them back to the Co. to have a coil changed or replaced................. I think the only other Co. that makes a VLF water detector you can replace the coil on your self is Tesoro and you can not get them at this time........................... I would love to have a Garrett VLF water detector..............

Attachments

• !BqB-6c!CGk~$(KGrHqQOKj4EupdGL(5CBLt-72ZDOg~~_1.jpg
    !BqB-6c!CGk~$(KGrHqQOKj4EupdGL(5CBLt-72ZDOg~~_1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,590
  • !BqB-6c!CGk~$(KGrHqQOKj4EupdGL(5CBLt-72ZDOg~~_1.jpg
    !BqB-6c!CGk~$(KGrHqQOKj4EupdGL(5CBLt-72ZDOg~~_1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 950

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Garrett AT3 & AT4 water detector.

Like i said before if Garrett would make a VLF water detector . I would be first in line to get one.<><>

Attachments

• !B)gelhQ!mk~$(KGrHqJ,!joEv1+0BDYvBMNy3M0Dlg~~_3.jpg
    !B)gelhQ!mk~$(KGrHqJ,!joEv1+0BDYvBMNy3M0Dlg~~_3.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,677

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I once had a Garrett AT4 and liked it till it disappeared from my car one day. I have written Garrett a couple times suggesting to them to bring out a VLF detector again and no response from them.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

Sandman said:
I once had a Garrett AT4 and liked it till it disappeared from my car one day. I have written Garrett a couple times suggesting to them to bring out a VLF detector again and no response from them.
I emailed them and called them about a VLF water detector also..... And i got no real response from them on the subject.............. I think they just don't care what there customers who buy there product wants......... They don't respond to the calls about it and will not put up any thing on the fourm about it...........................

kando

Nov 14, 2008
,U.S.A. almost in Canada
Detector(s) used
....Tesoro conquistador , minelab sovereign

I would like to see a Garrett VLF water detector also i would get one.................. BUT THE THING I hate about Garrett they will never answer a email i could email them from now untill XMAS and never hear a word back from them .,,,,,,,,, And they are a small co.,,,,,,,,,,, And there rep. john- edmonton from Canada gave a answer like this about the ACE250 that had a noise coming from it he told the person ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,," you must have good hearing " ,,,,,,,,,,,, What kind of answer is that ???

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

If you want a updated version of the AT-3 and AT-4 then quit writing to the hired help. Send a snail mail registered letter to Charles Garrett, founder of Garrett so he has to sign for it. Then you might get a response. If enough of us, start a letter campaign then Charlie might give it another shot.
I like my AT-3 as its a water proof notch detector. It doesn't get the depth that my Excaliber does but its a fine backup machine.

Flauthor :icon_thumleft:

wltdwiz

Jul 6, 2008
Arizona
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Minelab Vanquish
Minelab SDC 2300
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
AQUA TRACKER
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
nokta /makro pulse dive
blue nemo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

they do make a vlf water detector that you can change coils on its called a at pro :headbang:

hawk-run said:
I had a chance to get a AT3 and also a AT4 .................. So i called Garrett and they said they do not make coils that will work on them now ............. ....... And they can only repair them if they have any parts left to use in them so they might not be able to repair them ............................ So i let someone else buy them for i checked back and they were gone................. To bad Garrett will not make a VLF water detector a nice VLF water detector you can change coils on your self............ That would be a big selling point to be able to change the coil your self...........................not haveing to send them back to the Co. to have a coil changed or replaced................. I think the only other Co. that makes a VLF water detector you can replace the coil on your self is Tesoro and you can not get them at this time........................... I would love to have a Garrett VLF water detector..............

rodbuster

Dec 1, 2009
Grant Park Il
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 950/ 6" excelerator- MXT PRO 6x10 & 12"- Vaquero\ stock and 6" coil ''

In 1985 I had a AT4 and absolutely had a blast with it. I hunted the southern end of lake Michigan beaches and CLEANED UP big time.
That year the lake water was higher than normal and had eroded the beaches to the point that all the sand was gone all that was left was
the hard lake bottom. What a great detector the AT4 was in that setting. All I did was listen for the tones and loaded my apron full of silver and rings. :thumbsup:

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT3 was a much better detector then the AT4 (which had a leaking problem), and the AT4 was released in 1988. I was the Director of Marketing at that time.

Gregmid40

Mar 20, 2013
Advance, NC.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter VLF/TR 840, Tesoro Tejon, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, Fisher 1225,1260,1265,1266,1270X, Garrett Freedom Ace CDC, MP Series MP5 Pro, Garrett Coin Hunter TR Disc. (1978), Mikron NRG-110, De
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to get some info on the AT3.

The AT3 was a much better detector then the AT4 (which had a leaking problem), and the AT4 was released in 1988. I was the Director of Marketing at that time.[/QUO Hello Dick. I know that this is an old post that you wrote but was hoping you were still reading these posts in general. I have a question as to the performance of the AT3. I found one for sale and was wondering how well the depth capability was on the AT3? I notice that the connections between the control box and the coil are permanently sealed which can be disconnected on the AT4 at least at the control box. The search coil on the AT3 looks to be only 7" wide roughly. What were the dimensions on this coil anyway? I (do) like the separate notch acc./rej. knobs and that one can hunt with both circuits running in 'real time' while in the main search mode, correct me if I'm wrong. So (any) info as to it's real-world depth would be much appreciated and if it isn't wasn't a strong performer, there is also an AT4 I would consider for purchase. The AT4 looks like the coil is the stock 8.5" Crossfire coil. Thank you, Greg.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett brought out the AT Pro and while they say it is a beach detector, it is nowhere near what the AT3 And AT4 were, Even the Tesoro's of today have hardwired coils but I am lucky in having one that the coils can be changed and it is a true waterproof detector. Not rain proof to 10 foot like the ATP.

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greg, sorry to just get around to answering you....I am not a big forum person, and only check in once in a while. The coil on the AT3 was I believe seven inches, and the dual controls were for ferrous and non-ferrous. The non-ferrous settings would give the bell tone or coin sound....the ferrous would not. It was not real great on depth but it was one of the first water machines to come out and because of that it sold very well. I liked it for beach hunting as well as hunting in wet weather. The AT4 was already in production when I got there and it was meant to be a deeper machine but it had leaking problems big time. We finally fixed it but not before people were fed up with it.

Dick
www.stoutstandards.wordpress.com

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My Garrett AT-3 resides in Ithaca, NY now, sold to my cousin and she's having a ball with it. Glad Charlie Garrett came out with the AT Pro which is the upgrade everyone waited for. But it's not in my budget and I still like my Minelab Excalibur when I get to use it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread