Geeze so the kids got me. Any help?

DanWho

Feb 16, 2016
IOWA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett Infinium and
Whites Eagle II S (yes its older than some of the young'uns here)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think the best solution would be a person in the area with a metal detector, even a used detector is rather expensive unless no one is near you and some of the buried items are irreplaceable.

Unless of course you want to get into the hobby then you will find lots of people with different opinions on what to get.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd be doing backflips and running out and buying a nice entry level detector.

For any kids today to be going outside... it's an invitation to adventure!

My grandsons are inflicted with NDD. (Nature Deficit Disorder) It's hard to pry them out of their room(s) and away from the online gaming crap. To have kids that go outside- ohhh the joy~

Here are some new ones for a good price to get you started looking.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you could check out theringfinders.com or Ilostmystuff and have a detectorist come by.

OP
OP
M

meow992

May 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking into this the metal detectors looks kinda of cool. Like this secret world i never knew about. So im kinda interested in having one at the house and the kids can play with. Im in california. There are places to rent them but i think id like to have one of my own :). Would the bounty hunter junior work? The bullseye trx pinpointer? I dont want a long one, something portable the kids can use to. But strong enough to take care of the job at hand lol. Thanks guys!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think you quite understand how metal detectors work. Yes, you can turn them on and detect every piece of metal there is to find, and you can end up digging a world-full of trash out of the ground. Like most anything else, it takes time and experience to become pretty good with a detector.

Also, different detectors have different purposes. Pinpointers are just that - they're used for VERY short-distance metal detecting. They help prevent unnecessary digging, which helps to prevent excessive damage to turf.

There are detectors with digital displays and those with nothing but a single tone. Both will detect metal. Some detectors are not meant for going more than 3-5 inches down. Those would be in the entry-level category.

I'm not trying to turn you off of metal detecting, but rather to show how there's more to it than just picking one up, turning it on and then being able to dig up all these goodies that you couldn't otherwise see. It usually takes about 100 hours of use, on average, for someone to learn to understand the language their detector is speaking to them. It usually takes longer than that to become really good - able to detect down 7" and deeper, without digging up a barrel full of trash as well.

I would recommend Bigfoot's suggestion. www.TheRingFinders.com or www.ILostMyStuff.com should be able to help you. They could also probably give you some quick help on getting started with your own metal detector, or help with choosing the right model.

There are lots of posts on Tnet about choosing the right detector, as well as tons of tips for using them to their fullest capacity. You can click on Forum in the upper left corner to see all the different categories, or can also type search words into the search box in the upper right corner.

Good luck and happy hunting!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are close to me in North Orange County. I would be glad to offer you some help and show you the differences and capabilities of two types of detectors and pin pointers I have on hand.
Best of Luck.
Rusty

Ima digger

Apr 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are some inexpensive ones you can have fun with. Read the instruction book and you are on your way. I have had my kids, and now grandkids involved and its a hoot! the kids are thrilled with anything they find, and its great to be outside with them. It also gets them thinking about history, and that they are not the only people that walked the earth. Jump in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread