Ghost Town Mines and Safety

USTiger

Apr 30, 2006
Vancouver - WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading ALOT of posts and Pages online about Abandoned Mines in Ghost Towns i found a Good List of Safety Preconditions to take that i wanted to share with you all.

: : 1.Plan your trip before you go with any research you can do. Find out anything you can about known hazards. These are things like known hostile wildlife, known hostile humans, known vertical shafts, known previous accidents, and so on...

: : 2.Find at least two partners! There are a few reasons for this. First, SAFETY. If anyone gets hurt,there will be a way someone can get outside to call for help or go get help without leaving your injured partner alone. If you are alone and injured in a mine shaft, your done... game over. There is always the more pleasent reason for partners. You have someone there to share the moment. It can be a great time for good friends to go spelunking in both mines and natural caverns. Last but not least, if you have partners, you don't have to be the one to carry all the equipment!

: : 2.Select your equipment with your trip in mind. No matter what kind of mine or cave you plan to visit, at the very least, wear a bump cap. You can get one at a hardware store cheap. You would be suprised at how much one of those things can protect you from what would seem to be a minor hazard ( If you'll pardon the pun ). You mentioned light. Cat had a good point. Don't rely on one light source. carry at least two flashlights and a couple changes of batteries. I can't tell you how many flashlights I've broken half a mile under ground!

: : 3. Let someone know where you are going! If you and your partners get stuck in a mine behind a wall of rock and timber, it could be considered helpful if someone knew where you went so they can check on you after a set amount of time. This is one of many things that could keep you breathing!

: : 4. There are plenty of other things to think about. Food, Water, First aid kit, the list goes on but need not be overly extensive. If you have never done this kind of thing, contact a local cavers club to get an experienced spelunker as a guide. They are almost always happy to find a new outing to go on and can help you pick the time, place, equipment and plan for your outing.

: : I don't mean to take all the fun out of this type of outing. I would just rather see pictures posted in this site of your bright smilin' face on your trip rather than in an obituary.

: : Have a great time!

I hope everyone stays safe out there and keep exploring the world of history.

USTiger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread