Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Gold Fever
www.outdoorchannel.com/Shows/GoldFever.aspx
Saturdays at 12pm Eastern Time on the Outdoor Channel (some repeats shown at 6am eastern on Sat)

GoldFeverLogo.jpg
GoldFever4.jpg

If you are reading this and have never heard of the Gold Fever show... chances are you will like it! ;-) I was talking to a co-worker about Gold Rush and he recommended a show called Gold Fever on the Outdoor Channel. Turns out this show has been on forever with 180 episodes or so... but I never heard of it. Starting watching it and it's great! The main character Tom Massie is a Gold Prospector who loves to metal detect, dredge, sluice, hike down into old gold and silver mines... he's NUTS about GOLD and SILVER. He brings his whole family in on the hunt which is great. My only complaint is that they don't seem to have any marathon days of old episodes like they do on Discovery and the Science Channels for shows. I must see more of these episodes without buying $1000 worth of DVD's which are available. Check it out and discuss here if you'd like. I've been metal detecting for several years now, but this is the first time I've started seriously looking at gold panning equipment. Also notable, the commercials are short... and they are usually all about gold prospecting and minelab metal detectors! There are also tons of webclips from the TV show on the Outdoor Channel's website, so go check it out now!

GoldFeverPhoto1.jpg
GoldFever7.jpg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Like the episodes when they go underground.

Don't like the tours when he acts Silly.

anytime he does something Dangerous it's My kind
of show :icon_thumleft:

Also cool he has his Daughter doing these things with him now

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Yes I don't think I would walk across some of those holes on a plank like they do! Sure looks fun to me though! Tom can get a BIT animated, but he's my kind of guy. I'm practically Double Rainbow Guy's Brother for crying out loud ... haha.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where have you been Brett I been watching that show for a long time and spent a whole day watching reruns. Lol you must be out swinging to much. Nice to see your avatar again. :thumbsup: Charlie

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I have been trying to watch this show for several weeks now- have plenty of episodes on DVR..... for once I have to say that a gold mining show ACTUALLY grates on my nerves.

I wish they would show the old Buzzard episodes. Can't even find them on the internet. :(

Tom and Perry are nice enough guys, but the Buzzard (George, their father) was one heckuva lot better.

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Jeffro, thanks for chiming in on this one. I guess I only know what's been shown for the last 6 shows, which are supposedly Best Of type episodes. I didn't know George was Tom's father... ahh.. just did a little reading.. George and family founded the Outdoor Channel. No wonder all of the commercials are their father speaking about prospecting and Minelab commercials. Well it's just a matter of time before they have a marathon day of Gold Fever episodes I guess.

I did a lot of searching for Gold Fever episodes out there as well ... I got nothing!

I'd like to see some of those episodes... so what grates on your nerves so much??? The long stories and not enough panning for gold? hahaha.. sometimes I wish they would just show an hour of digging and panning.. but I do like the stories too. How was the Buzzard's prospecting different?

Thanks!

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Ah it wasn't so much the method I guess as it was gettin down and dirty- Buzzard was hard at it the whole show- taking you through all the ins and outs, the nitty gritty type stuff. Tom just seems to act goofy most of the time. Nice enough guy in person, but his TV persona just kinda rubs me the wrong way I guess.

George talked a mile a minute, and just about every sentence had some sort of meaning to it. A guy'd learn a lot from getting a hold of some of those old shows.

One of my favorite stories of his goes something like this-

They were up doing some prospecting (he and Tom and Perry) and the boys were wild eyed to go get some gold. George found an old piece of corrugated tin roofing or something similar and laid it out in the middle of camp to build their fire on. Kinda weird, and I think Tom and his brother even asked what he was up to and he never let on, only instructing them to go back to that old root wad they had passed and get some firewood. When they came back with some of the old root wad, and a bunch of wood from elsewhere, he told them to ONLY get the roots from that old root wad, that was what he wanted to burn.....

So as they were prospecting, each day the boys would hike back to that old rootwad and tear into it for the firewood. At the end of the week, or however long they were there, he showed them what he was up to.

He went through the ashes looking for gold, and sure enough... there was more gold in them roots than you could shake a stick at, LOL! "Gold is where you find it" was one of his more memorable sayings ;)

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
And I even found a few clips of the old Buzzard- woohoo!

http://outdoorchannel.com/Shows/Gol...07126614&pid=oqjKDj8ug1u4ykQIy6QDeNVJ1Qo8ESUx

http://outdoorchannel.com/Shows/Gol...07126436&pid=bJtp_pC7q7IZ_mEqUfLOWefdYj6iCHVX

http://outdoorchannel.com/Shows/Gol...07126565&pid=CLWYFGDNzfs0drL5SCD1LYgSVQgUEvrs

http://outdoorchannel.com/Shows/Gol...07126565&pid=CLWYFGDNzfs0drL5SCD1LYgSVQgUEvrs

http://outdoorchannel.com/Shows/Gol...07126557&pid=oZ8e1g4zeyn0NXEg5o7dXS_yk_LjXqHb

George just had an energy about him, you couldn't help but wanna grab a pick and shovel and head on out when you watched him on TV.
Nothing against Tom at all, like I said he seems like a good guy... But George was just a lot more "lively".... always going a mile a minute and always interjecting history, geology, mining practices, scientific stuff, etc. into the shows. Just a lot more excitement, in my humble opinion.

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Re: Roots - Great story Jeffro! I'll have to look for those other shows. Hopefully I'll have some more to watch this weekend with the family.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread