Gold Mining Trip Opinions Requested

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used the Audobon Society field guide to Northern California to find gold ore. There were so many types of rocks in the area I was uncertain of what to collect when I found it. Initially there were black syreaks and white crystals on the surface. Then there wete at least 10 different combinations of "parts" of the mound where I was digging. I am arriving there again July 19th. I am looking for "experts" to correspond with once I start mining. I got a metal detector and a pseparate detection probe.
Is there anyone willing to schedule receiving pictures through e-mail to help me know what I will be looking at? It would be too complicated to describe the vast areas. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You don't need an our email addresses you just need a good shovel, you've obviously found an elusive California Gold Finch nest. These birds gather small nuggets and put them in conglomerate mounds of usually 20 different parts as you describe.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A picture is worth a thousand words. No need for vast explanations or page numbers from the field guide. Just post your pics here. I Am an Expert......

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
best place to post to identify rocks is here; http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/h...ified-post-here-gimme-good-picture-3-4-a.html
most gold ore I've seen in California looks like this;
15.jpg

Last edited:

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Winners Did you find that using the bird watchers field guide?

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no, this old guide is much better, and before you ask, yes I always check the birds craw for nuggets before I fry up the gizzards.
https://www.amazon.com/Sunset-Discovery-Book-Californias-Northern/dp/B000XBPRUO

"jza01701"
Looking at your other posts, looks more like sedimentary, what to look for are intrusions of other types of rock like metamorphic or igneous
especially outcroppings of quartz, from your photos I'd say mud stone created from some ancient geologic event or even an inland sea bed
they can have conglomerates and even white calcite and lots of different rocks but nothing of much value.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What I found looks exactly like the picture in this thread. I dud not post any pictures of what I found only other rocks in the area I could not identify. The issue I faced was kniwing gold ore us only valyable when processing larger amounts. I was looking to actually looking to identify all the rocks I saw in and around the ore to figure out where to collect specimens instead of nust carrying huge amounts of ore that I would find difgicult to process. I am multilingual: Italuan, English, and Spanish. Email is easy for me to translate.

OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is this the ore that processes to 2000 pounds at $75.00 in value. I found that much and really just want to try the metal detector I just bought.

Au-N-Rod

Mar 5, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You need to make sure where these rocks are is not private land. AND not a valid mining claim where the rocks, gold etc belong to someone else.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used the Audobon Society field guide to Northern California to find gold ore. There were so many types of rocks in the area I was uncertain of what to collect when I found it. Initially there were black syreaks and white crystals on the surface. Then there wete at least 10 different combinations of "parts" of the mound where I was digging. I am arriving there again July 19th. I am looking for "experts" to correspond with once I start mining. I got a metal detector and a pseparate detection probe.
Is there anyone willing to schedule receiving pictures through e-mail to help me know what I will be looking at? It would be too complicated to describe the vast areas. Thanks.

Welcome to T-Net! Can you tell us where you are from, and how long you'll be in the United States? You need to get in touch with a Gold Prospecting Club in California that have gold claims you can work. Metal Detectors that are suitable to hunt gold nuggets are specialized machines, either Single Frequency VLF, or Pulse Induction machines. Make sure you have the RIGHT type of machine and a GOOD digging tool like a "Hermit Pick." Good Luck!

OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am American. I am a Roman born in Boston. I lived in San Francisco for six years. I returned East two years ago. My detector has a gold detection setting: MD-3120ii.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
7.5KHZ looks to be a remake of the bounty hunter 4 It will work for small nuggets without much depth probably 1/4 gram or bigger
for testing ores you would want something like the Falcon MD-20 it runs @300kHz https://youtu.be/b1C6S-KKT5s
The detectors nugget hunters use run @ 20 to 50kHz

Join a prospecting club and learn all you can from the oldtimers go on outings and such...

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry mistyped: MD-3010ii

Sorry, but you are not going to do well with this machine. It is a cheap, Chinese knock off of a Garrett Ace 250. You will be better off with a shovel, 1/4" classifier, a five-gallon bucket, and a gold pan.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread