Gold Ring!

SammyDaBull

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2016
VT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 (for the kids)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So i hunt mostly cellar holes and old homesteads. We bought a 100+ year old house in June last year, and found this in the front yard about 8" down on Sunday!

20160425_170658.jpg 20160425_170711.jpg 20160425_170729.jpg 20160425_170750.jpg

Upvote 12

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably a wedding ring from a previous owner of your place.... Congrats!

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice!!

Congrats :icon_thumright:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! Congrats! Old gold!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice find!
What's the karats..?

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool find ! still waiting on my first gold.

OP
OP
SammyDaBull

SammyDaBull

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2016
VT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice first gold, Just a tip I have seen some with that hallmark that were real, and a few that were not solid gold. More rolled gold over a base metal. I'll see if I can find the post. Most were found I believe on the east coast, one was in Pa and the others were eastern shore Delmarva area's. The crown stands for gold

Last edited:

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring. Looks like if you clean it up, it may have some gemstones around the middle where it's tarnished.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a ring that looks just like that. I assummed that tarnish around the center meant gold plated or something. Its marked 18k= Check it out

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
OP
OP
SammyDaBull

SammyDaBull

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2016
VT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup, that was my thoughts as well. Must be plated. Still nice find though!!

And Thanks everyone!

I have a ring that looks just like that. I assumed that tarnish around the center meant gold plated or something. Its marked 18k= Check it out

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm same ring from another thread ?

IMO... gold plated.

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plated or rolled gold over brass. I was in the jewelry bizz years ago and have seen this many times. It was common for crooked jewelers to use fake KT marks on plated or rolled brass. Legitimate pieces of gold plated or rolled gold were sold by legitimate jewelers but were stamped GF ( gold filled ), GP ( gold plate ) or RG ( rolled gold ). Very often these processes where used on pocket watches. Many times some one would come into my shop with the so called solid gold pocket watch passed down in the family asking what it is worth only to be very disappointed that it's plated with gold and worth a couple of hundred dollars in good condition and in working order. I have seen a few watches that where actually gold but they came from very wealthy families. Common people could never afford such a thing in the past or even today. Gold in a 24 KT state is a very soft metal and will wear quickly. Yellow gold is mixed with an alloy of brass. 24 KT being pure gold. 18 KT means 18 parts of gold mixed with 6 parts of brass, 14 KT means 14 parts gold to 10 parts of brass, 10 KT is 10 parts of gold to 14 parts of brass mixed as alloy. Price point is often a consideration when people select KT weight with 10 KT naturally being less expensive and the most durable because of it's brass content giving it strength.
Your ring that you found is very obviously plated with gold over brass and it's not an alloy. It having no other marks other then 18KT means the person that lost it was ripped off when they bought it. That's it for today's jewelry lesson.:laughing7:

OP
OP
SammyDaBull

SammyDaBull

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2016
VT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome to know! I suspected it wasn't pure by the wear and corrosion. It does have a crown stamp, but the research i've found from it doesn't really make me think anything more. I messaged the previous owners of our house asking if anyone lost a wedding band. Sentimental value might be worth more than the actual value ;)

Plated or rolled gold over brass. I was in the jewelry bizz years ago and have seen this many times. It was common for crooked jewelers to use fake KT marks on plated or rolled brass. Legitimate pieces of gold plated or rolled gold were sold by legitimate jewelers but were stamped GF ( gold filled ), GP ( gold plate ) or RG ( rolled gold ). Very often these processes where used on pocket watches. Many times some one would come into my shop with the so called solid gold pocket watch passed down in the family asking what it is worth only to be very disappointed that it's plated with gold and worth a couple of hundred dollars in good condition and in working order. I have seen a few watches that where actually gold but they came from very wealthy families. Common people could never afford such a thing in the past or even today. Gold in a 24 KT state is a very soft metal and will wear quickly. Yellow gold is mixed with an alloy of brass. 24 KT being pure gold. 18 KT means 18 parts of gold mixed with 6 parts of brass, 14 KT means 14 parts gold to 10 parts of brass, 10 KT is 10 parts of gold to 14 parts of brass mixed as alloy. Price point is often a consideration when people select KT weight with 10 KT naturally being less expensive and the most durable because of it's brass content giving it strength.
Your ring that you found is very obviously plated with gold over brass and it's not an alloy. It having no other marks other then 18KT means the person that lost it was ripped off when they bought it. That's it for today's jewelry lesson.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread