goldn gem grubbin mine

Re: gold'n gem grubbin mine

The last time I was there was about 6 yrs ago when they were carrying the Schmidt gold bazooka. I haven't been back since so I couldn't really help ya with any recent info. It is right on a nice little river, they have a decent store and plenty of RV and camping areas. The folks running it at the time were great but again this was all 6 years ago.
David

dave, how did you do when you were there last? did you find any gold?

I was just there for a couple of hours to test the Bazooka but did alright. The owner at the time let us pick where we wanted to do the test just to avoid any allegations of him taking us to a "salted area". I wasn't all that impressed with the Bazooka but it did find gold. The river was nice and had easy access throughout the property. Our finds consisted of a few decent flakes and small coarse pieces. But for such a small amount of time with a not so great piece of equipment I was impressed with the area. Thought it would be a good place to bring a nice 4inch dredge and spend a couple of days under water. At that time the area was also decent for metal detectors. I didn't get in to it all that much but I remember several pieces of earth moving equipment and areas that were being excavated...not sure if this was the commercial side of the business or just ongoing and growing areas for customers to use. Are you planning a trip sometime soon or just interested in the area?

Hope this helps,
David

thanks for the info david. i am interested in spending some time in north georgia prospecting. i really like the idea of having someone excavating old rivers and piling head dirt by the stream for you to go through. the histroy of the area this mine is in tells me there is a lot of gold still to be found. thanks again. 49erjohn

Hey 49er. I'm in Dahlonega right now. I'm doing research today and plan to do some prospecting in a nearby creek later today and the rest of this week. I have a Garrett Master Hunter CX3 and a shovel/ garden trowel, but I need a pan, tweezers, vial, suction bottle, etc. If you are in northern Georgia and have any of that equipment, maybe we can hook up and I'll take you to the creek I found. Looks like a winner. By the way, it's beautiful up here. Jeff

jeff, you have to try the small feeder creeks to the etowa river near blackburn park. they are finding good size nuggets and flakes there now. wish i could join you!!!! 49erjohn

I may be making a trip up there soon with my parents to pan for some gold... I just need a break away from my life for a little while. Figured panning would be enough of a release.

Bran <><

Thanks for the tip, 49'er. I can't really afford any equipment right now though and I need to get to a town that is vagrant-friendly and will alow me to take a shower. lol I had to take a death shower at Desoto Falls, a couple of days ago and almost killed myself tightwalking a tree stump, 30 feet above a raging river. I think I'm going back to Greenville, SC tonight and then Asheville, NC. I know for certain that I can take a shower at the rescue mission in Greenville. I might do some MDing in North Carolina, if I can find a good spot. Nobody took me up on my offer anyway. Oh well. SS

This is an old thread but I am goin there this weekend to take the kiddies . . . I will let you know how it goes if interested.

Foose said:
This is an old thread but I am goin there this weekend to take the kiddies . . . I will let you know how it goes if interested.
How did it go Foose? I am thinking of going soon and wondered how you liked it.

I heard Foose had a good time.
I went with Son and 3 Grandsons. We found gold, caught fish, had a good time. We didn't try the pile of dirt at the creek, we panned at the sluice boxes near the shop and pond. We will go again.

Thanks CaptJohn! I am going to go at the end of
sept/early oct and give it a whirl. Glad you and the Boys had a good time.

We went recently and they have sluices for "seeded" bags(they had a $500 gold bucket I wish I could have afforded) but the creek was nice(and cold!) they have a "seeded" pile to pan with, but you can metal detect the creek, but not the shore(georgia state law). I say "seeded" because who knows how much of what you find is local or bought from china and mixed in??

Yes their gem and gold bags are salted. But its all in good fun for newcomers to the hobby of gold and gem hunting. I spent 2 days sluicing in the creek. Tryed both their pile and digging on my own and only found 3-4 small specs. Wouldnt worth it but I had fun. The property used to me a GPAA or LDMA claim back a few years back so im sure its been worked over pretty good. I visit Crission Gold Mine in Dahlonega about once or twice a year to get some gold bags and have done real good. Never tryed the gems I dont know what im looking for heh.

Is Blackburn Park still open, and are there camping facilities there?

Gold bought from china and mixed in ??? ???That would make me say a few choice words :director:As a weekendgoldminers member i would rather dig my own and save the money, rather then buying gold from china.That 500 dollar bucket covers 3years+ in membership fees.You would find alot more gold,and it would be what you dug up not what was bought from a communist power.W.e.g.m has property across the street
from gold&gem with 1.5 miles of stream to play in,and other locations in the gold belt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back