GoldWell Sluice Capacity?

Apr 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello treasure hunters!

So I got a good deal last X-Mas on a 12" GoldWell sluice.
Saved like $300 so, why not?
However, the documentation available for it is slim to none.
I read on another prospector forum that one can do well over 10 tons per hour, another at 25, another at 50 and anywhere in between.
That again, didn't mention their screening size if any, I see the most results for GoldWell regularly come from treasurenet.com.
I know it can handle 3x as much dirt as a as a regular sluice... I also cannot find those numbers so it don't help me much.

I am fabricating a trommel for it and don't want to overkill it, like I don't want to under feed it, I am looking at the sluice's capacity.
I know, I am building backwards but that's how I work... hard build around a crown jewel.
Surely, the trommel is for screening screen and determined that 1/4 holes would perform best.
That said, the comments I read elsewhere had no mention of classifying either, so it leaves me confuzzled.
To produce a certain amount of 1/4" screen concentrate, I must feed a lot more dirt than gets put through the wash plant.
However, I discovered the absolute best results were at 5/16" but that's not commercially feasible.

I'd like to see some prospectors results, as in, "I ran 10 tons of 1/4" dirt for an hour easily".
So far I got to learn to not really believe what HM says, I rather pro experience comments, it's always best.
If anything I'd like to see miners talk how they actually overloaded it, what's the breaking point?

Again, documentation is so low and I see more and more miners buying them, they really are a work of art.
On the other hand, I don't want to build a trommel that will overload it... sky's the limit but I'm still geared towards as portable as possible.
Meaning I want each part that can be moved slowly by one man or faster with two or be moved easily and quickly with an ATV and winches.
I'll be filming the build, I'm sure some will get some ideas, I are quite inventive.

Thanks in advance :)

-GG&G

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is it a Gold Well or a Gold Well knockoff? Did you buy it through the HMResearch site? There is a manual for the Gold Well sluices that is fairly complete under support on the HM Research site.

A true Gold Well requires very little or no classification. Classification is only required if you don't have enough water to 'float' the largest rocks out. If you have a 2200 GPH pump for example, you can probably get away classifying to 1". With a 1000 GPH pump you might need to classify to 1/2".

If you prurchased it at Christmas from the HM Reserarch website it will be one of the few made by Gold Well Manufacturing who didn't provide documentation for some reason. They are no longer manufacturing the sluice.

Derek Eimer in Happy Camp has pushed the 12" sluice pretty hard. On a video on Indian Creek found on the website, at around the 2 minute mark, Dan, Derek's partner, stuffs 2/3 bucket through a grizzly attached to a keene sluice they used to classify and slurry the material with, in 7 seconds. So about 10 seconds per bucket. He also said they filled 150 buckets with dirt and ran it in just under 1 hour and hadn't reached the limit even then. You can find him on facebook if you want to ask him what you can push through a 12" Gold Well. He's been running one longer than just about anyone else.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread