Good MD for coin hunting in the $1000 range?

Rawkfist

Greenie
Dec 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently own a Fisher F2 and am just getting into the sport. However, I am looking into coin hunting on a 1800's site and I am worried that the Fisher wont find these coins. The 1800's site in question was abandoned and has not been trampled on since 1942ish. I don't think the coins will be too deep but I am not an expert like some of you all.
So, I would like to know if my Fisher will find these coins/relics and if not then I would like to start researching a detector that will. I want to stay in the $1000 range.
I am also looking into a machine for Fresh Water and some day maybe Salt. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You F2 will do pretty well, actually. It's the coins beside iron or deep and iffy that may escape you.

Fisher F-75 for around $949.00 ($1099.00 gets you the top-end F-75 LTD2)
Fisher F75 Metal Detector | BigBoysHobbies

Fisher F75 SE Metal Detector | BigBoysHobbies

Teknetics T2SE for $899.00
Teknetics T2 SE Special Edition Metal Detector | BigBoysHobbies

I'm a coin shooter and have the F-75se upgraded to the LTD2 (nice that Fisher offerred a program to return and upgrade my seven year old detector - for a price). It is great in trashy sites and also woods and plowed fields. Not the best choice for saltwater (it is waterproor up to the control head) but will handle it with manual ground balancing. Very versitile all purpose detector.

If bu freshwater and saltwater you intend submerging the detector - whole nuther story. I have no knowledge there.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On that site, try your F2 and dig every sound in a test area to see what it will find. If you're finding early 1800's coins at 6" or less, I wouldn't worry about upgrading just yet. If you're getting targets at the limit of your depth range (just whispers), You might want to get something that will go deeper.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you are describing a garrett at pro(5x8 coil a must)It can do all you describe with some change left over for additional coils.a very versatile mid price range machine and capable in trashy areas.1st tho put the 4"hocky puck coil on your f2...its pretty darn good for those homesites,surprising even.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A $1000 machine isn't necessarily the end all when it comes to detecting IMHO.
luvsdux

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
S'true nuff. And someone familiar and thorough with their $250 machine could probably whomp another hunter with a $2,500 that has it all bolluxed up and is a sloppy detectorist.

It's better to have a simple machine and know everything it can do than have a machine that can do everything and not know how to use it.

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Agree with all the comments above. A top end, or even a thousand dollar detector, if you really get to know it will likely find more coins than the F2. However, the F2 is a solid entry level machine. It was my first machine and I detected older 1800s coins at home sites down to 7-8 inches or so with it. But like others have said, you need to dig more of the iffy signals, and in a trashy site use your 4" sniper coil if you have one.

John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread