Good news

fingerscrossed

Apr 22, 2012
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good news - PICS ADDED!

Alright guys just got good news from my wife, a patient of hers know that i collect coins. Shes sn oncology nurse by the way and wifey just txt me saying she got a coin for me, a shipwreck coin 1783 given by the patient! Will post pic later im excited!

Hope everyones doing well and having great finds!

EDIT:
alright guys I was so surprised to get that text msg from wifey and even more surprised to see that the coin was graded by NGC! my wife's patient knew I was collecting and he's been collecting himself for the last 40years! now he's trying to liquidate and give some coins to friends and family and his words to my wife were, if he were to give some of his collections, he would be glad to know that one of his collections were in the hands of a fellow collector! :headbang:

@BuffaloBoy - you were right man its from El Cazador ship wreck! How did you get that coin from a Museum? They actually let you purchase it? :headbang:

this if by far the best coin I ever had and by far the oldest! thanks for viewing guys!!! :hello2:

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Upvote 0

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
fingerscrossed

fingerscrossed

Apr 22, 2012
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks man no rush. Just wanted to get an idea of how much my coin is worth. Please pm me the price you paid if you dont mind.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I do keep up on numismatics and can usually spot a problem/issue with a coin, with that said, it was an impulse buy and I knew the name was solid
that I was buying from. The only issue is that Mel did not find the El Cazador but they had their coins for sale. I am not an expert on 8 Reales but
wanted one for my collection. The one I have is almost intact up to and including the lettering on the edge of the coin. The gleam, if I may, of the coin
is what had me concerned but it just came out of the "UnClumping" process two weeks before I bought it.

How do you tone down a coin like this?

The secret ingredient is Liver of Sulfur gel.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Historic Old Coins

This is a legitimate website, I ordered from it before.

While those prices may be in line with the more heavily corroded coins, the one I have shows much much more detail including the lettering on the
edge of the coin. Compared to those online I would have to say that the one I picked out is a little bit better.

I will post pictures shortly.

Last edited:

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the scans.

Obverse

1793_obverse0001.jpg

Reverse The color is from the scanner, it is not on the coin.

1783_Reverse0001.jpg

Information on Reale

1783_cover0001.jpg

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
:hello2: Bravo, Freedom, Bravo. That is a beautiful specimen. It was obviously neatly stacked in the clump, protecting it from the elements with only minor corrosion. That is the reason why a clean clumps - to discover the hidden gems inside. Don't be bashful in what you paid for it. You were not taken. Many shipwreck numismatists would be proud to own your specimen.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2: Bravo, Freedom, Bravo. That is a beautiful specimen. It was obviously neatly stacked in the clump, protecting it from the elements with only minor corrosion. That is the reason why a clean clumps - to discover the hidden gems inside. Don't be bashful in what you paid for it. You were not taken. Many shipwreck numismatists would be proud to own your specimen.

The scanner did not even begin to pickup the detail from the reverse, it is all intact and very discernible.

High end pricing, $299.00 total with tax. I know that I over paid but as the coins diminish and are distrubted to buyers they will start appreciating.
Hopefully my grandson/granddaughter will enjoy the coin long after I am gone from this world and onto the next.

Last edited:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mine did come with the certificate of authenticity and everything, a cool coin... it's not slabbed, but sitting nicely in a humidity controlled safe, the best place for it!
mel fischer is not going to be selling knock off fakes at his museum in key west florida, i knew i was buying the real deal... it's 8 Reales too, i believe a better grade too
Buff,
Did you get your coin Authenticated? I bought from the same place you did. They had just finished electrolisys on a clump of coins and mine is
so shiny I thought it was a fake. Gave weight of coin, date and Cert. I will have mine sent to NGC shortly but was curious if you had sent yours
in.
Freedom

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@the first post... they sell the coins at the museum's gift shop at the end... mel fischer cleans the coins himself i believe, i will get around to posting pics of mine hopefully tomorrow :)
hh
buff

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@the first post... they sell the coins at the museum's gift shop at the end... mel fischer cleans the coins himself i believe, i will get around to posting pics of mine hopefully tomorrow :)
hh
buff

Mel has passed away many years ago. His daughter is the President/CEO of his enterprise now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Fisher

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
The scanner did not even begin to pickup the detail from the reverse, it is all intact and very discernible.

High end pricing, $299.00 total with tax. I know that I over paid but as the coins diminish and are distrubted to buyers they will start appreciating.
Hopefully my grandson/granddaughter will enjoy the coin long after I am gone from this world and onto the next.

No worries about the price you paid. Everyone pays at Mel's. But you have a beautiful specimen that as the lower quality coins are bought up on the secondary market, yours will indeed appreciate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread