Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was sharing the story of the military dogtag finds with two elderly men, one is 94 years old and WWII vet/Pacific and the other in his latter eighties. When I finished, I mentioned the "If found, return tag" with John Martin on it. The eighty plus man, Danny quickly told me that John Martin had been a relative on his mother's side of the family and that he had been killed in the 20's. John had been postmaster at Mena at the time and had a bad gambling habit. Danny also said John had lost his house due to gambling previously. Danny said that John had gone back to work this one evening to catch up for the next day and when he was coming out after dark, he was shot and killed on the steps. Danny said that the family figured that John had owed someone money. I wasn't expecting anything to be said about this tag and all of a sudden the tag had come back to life somewhat. We as metal detectorists have the ability to dig up history as we all know and it is so cool to actually find out info on some of it. So, we will give the tag to Danny later this week, he will appreciate it. Thanks for looking, DL

Attachments

• CIMG1795.JPG
    CIMG1795.JPG
    412.2 KB · Views: 76

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
interesting story. Great sherlock holmes "who-dunnit" mystery.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
interesting story. Great sherlock holmes "who-dunnit" mystery.

This is a rather small town place, we have a lot of move in retirees but the old time locals know a good portion of the peoples around here. in many cases, you could be related to half the county LOL. I never dreamed of info like that. I actually know several of his descendants. where I am living now, just out from Mena about 10 miles, the town population is like 402. Heck, my great grandfather was a deputy here and took a couple of prisoners by wagon to Ft Smith to Judge Parker. I just passed his old LC Smith double barrel shotgun to my daughter.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Cool story related to that find. Get it back to the family. Not superstitious but, I'd get that find down the road. John had a sad ending it seems due to a compulsion to gamble. Thanks for sharing the update.

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice story and find. I'm glad you found out more about it.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find and a good story to go with it.
Its great when you find something, wonder about it and then actually get the story behind it.
Nothing better than a small town.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Another great story with a lot of involved history! :occasion14:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's just an amazing story.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The tag will be in the family's hands before the weekend is over, it would have been sooner but for so many commitments for this week. I knew that getting it back to the family in a place like this wouldn't be very hard but I never expected the story behind the owner nor that I would be talking to a relative so quickly. We may not have as much history as a lot of you have back east but we do have some very colorful people and events here just as most places have. Danny, the man I will be giving it to is also part of a group of people who are trying to record the area's past so this will be well received. thanks for looking

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread