Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was it the National Seashore, you can't detect any federal beaches.

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Not sure of the rules there. But if they allow sand castle building you might be in luck. All you need to do it gerry-rig your detector with an umbrella to make it look like one and carry a kids shovel. If you start to dig you could say im building a sand castle or a hole for your umbrella.
Something to think about 🤔🤔🤔

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the sea oats are federally protected.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes it is more about what you may find as opposed to what you may do.

If the possibility something of a historical value may exist... they want to be the ones who find it.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Local, state and federal governments do not always make sense. Good hunting and good luck.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure where you are on the OBX, but Nags Head and northern beaches are fair game. Should be tons of recent drops. I hit these northern beaches in the off season and have decent luck. Yes, I think we all would love to hit the southern beaches where Blackbeard roamed and search for Doubloons!! But if they catch you with a detector I hear they confiscate it. Not worth the risk.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Intentionally trying to sneak into a National seashore to detect can get you arrested, a healthy fine and they can legally confiscate your detector and your car if they choose to do so.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rjeffw, what part of the Outer Banks were you going to or stay? North of16 Mile Post or 21(depending on the map you look at) you can metal detect the north Nags Head Beaches, all Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk, Southern Shores, Duck, Corolla, Sanderling up toward the VA State line. If south toward Hatteras Island or anything below the Oregon Inlet Bridge, no detecting allowed, as Treasure Hunter stated National Park and Wildlife Refuge. Both listed as no MDing also Ocracoke Island. As for driving on the beach, I guess that somewhere there is money to be made in fees, licenses, fishing equipt and bait, etc. Stinks as there are beaches south I'd like to hit but no fines or jail time thanks!

OP
OP
rjeffw

rjeffw

Mar 27, 2017
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rjeffw, what part of the Outer Banks were you going to or stay? North of16 Mile Post or 21(depending on the map you look at) you can metal detect the north Nags Head Beaches, all Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk, Southern Shores, Duck, Corolla, Sanderling up toward the VA State line. If south toward Hatteras Island or anything below the Oregon Inlet Bridge, no detecting allowed, as Treasure Hunter stated National Park and Wildlife Refuge. Both listed as no MDing also Ocracoke Island. As for driving on the beach, I guess that somewhere there is money to be made in fees, licenses, fishing equipt and bait, etc. Stinks as there are beaches south I'd like to hit but no fines or jail time thanks!

I was going to be on Hatteras. I knew that place was pretty locked down, but when I saw you could drive on the beach, I thought surly I can dig a small hole here and there, and of course fill them back in, but no. Cars, spinning sand, YES! Guy with a small spade, no.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I know where you are coming from. There are places I'd really like to go and hunt just to see if there is anything there, Ocracoke Island has attraction for me but again, fish, sun, walk, etc. but no dig. Unless I have a bucket and plastic shovel and am making a sandcastle. Yes, go spin donuts with your truck but don't dig with your scoop! Same way with the National Parks in the Mountains here. Places I'd like to hunt but not going to push the penalties. Bummer and Nags Head and on north is a long drive to go hunt.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is hope in Hatteras. A neighbor of mine in Duck NC was down walking the beaches in Hatteras with his young daughter and she eyeballed a surface Spanish copper coin on the sand. They are out there. (Especially after a storm...) Have fun!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There is hope in Hatteras. A neighbor of mine in Duck NC was down walking the beaches in Hatteras with his young daughter and she eyeballed a surface Spanish copper coin on the sand. They are out there. (Especially after a storm...) Have fun!

If it's true what is said in this thread about Hatteras, then it's not a question of the "damage" done by beach vehicles (and kids digging sand -castles, etc...). But rather: it's a question of cultural heritage. Because .... heaven forbid you might find an old coin. Contrast to sand-castle builders and beach vehicles won't/don't find old coins.

And BTW: I certainly hope that the young daughter who eyeballed that Spanish copper coin on the beach left it right there. Right ? Because I'll bet that so-too is it forbidden to simply eyeball them. You'd *technically* be required to leave it where it lay I suppose.

As far as beaches where MD'ing ISN'T a problem in the vicinity , mentioned on the this thread, I'll bet that if you contacted those particular administering agencies (city, county, state, etc...) and asked them about "removing antiquties", I bet you could likewise fetch a "no". So what it really is boiling down to, is where it's just historically grandfathered in (ie.: who doesn't care) versus who now might "care". As for me, I'm fine with an entity "not caring" and it's best left that way :)

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post this in the "political" section of the Charter Member forums. Oh, not a charter member yet? For $25.00 bucks you'll get your money's worth especially in the Political section. BTW, when has our government ever made "sense". I can't be open in this section to tell you what I really think about our "benevolent" caretakers telling us what We The People can or CAN'T do with our own land. Screw them.:cussing:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread