government stores??

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
whitesid said:
i have herd that the government had stores that buy silver and gold bullion for 100% of the metal price. has anyone else herd of these?

Stores is another word for stockpile. There is a strategic reserve of oil and other materials that would be needed by the government in the event of war. Silver and gold and all other items like that are bought at full retail and stored in the strategic reserve. When someone reports that the government is selling oil to bring down prices it comes from the strategic reserve and gets replaced later after the prices drop. Where the money goes from those sales i don't know. I'm not real sure where the precious metals get storted most likely at West Point or one of the other mints. The oil is pumped into salt mines in Louisiana and stored there. siegfried schlagrule

OP
OP
whitesid

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im talking about stores as in the meaning of a shop that buys it from the public, kind of like the jewelry stores. but thanks for the info :)

OP
OP
whitesid

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i remember reading it some years ago

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Long time ago, when only the government would buy gold from mining etc, The US mint would buy it, but this is a very long time ago, there may have been stores set up in the 30s when the gold was taken away from the public. But I thought they just used banks?

Today it goes though variouse refiners.

Getting spot for gold is not a problem if you have enough. As well buying gold for spot is easy if your buying enough.

I prefer to get gold for under spot and sell it for over spot. But who dosnt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions