Gpaa pleasington show alameda fair ground?

T

Tuolumne

Wow what a let down! Did anyone go to the show?

A year in planning and I'm not impressed.

First off it's just a room w zombie vendors, no outside area for metal detecting or any kind of activity.

speakers? all year to plan and you only have two different speakers?
how many times can you hear Shannon preach the same message to the choir?

The gpaa couldn't get any local clubs to do something or give power point, maybe a DVD playing , whoever put this show was lazy or didn't try hard enough

Maybe the Sonora gold show is just that much better than everything else but if you've been to Sonora gold show it's not even worth the parking money for the gpaa show

Last edited:
Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
its my understanding that local gpaa clubs sponsor these shows and get all the ducks lined up /setup , then gpaa rolls in and goes from there! Here in Misery we had 3 clubs to help setup and plan out our gpaa gold show for the first time. I was there both days for the show and helped setup on Friday .I thought it went really good for the first show and we had also planned for the next year and put $$ down to secure the same auditorium only to get turned down by gpaa and they refused to refund our $$ that we already spent! Im done with the gpaa !!:BangHead:

OP
OP
T

Tuolumne

The Pleasanton set up was not feng shui at all.
Who was the genius that picked this spot not near gold country?

Hoping for Bay Area crowds? Nada when you don't advertise. Dino land had line 50 deep at 25$ next door because they actually got the word out

Honestly I will say the Felix gold panning was the best gold I've ever got on the second day of a gold fair.

But even Amra booth, no hand out on the latest dredging water board meetings, just selling merchandise and raffle tickets.

I was hoping for a booth with updates and free materials but you have to pay Amra to get into that deal. Why not a table with materials to write congress or politicians? Finally you get miner community together and waste it but here buy a gold dredge!

Way too much foo foo gold jewelry shopping when Xmas has already passed.

No kids area except the panning, no demos beside recirculating mini sluice at every station.

Since they had the whole thousand acre fair ground why not have a treasure hunt for family?

No gold detecting with gpaa/Amra due to cancelation by the sunny weather, why not do it at fair grounds?

Not even a detecting test drive pit? What was worse the Dino show or the no treasure show?

Weak sauce for sure.

Temecula gold club comes but the local gpaa don't even have booth?
You had a better shot at temeculas inclusive raffle than gpaa or Amra -
Though temecula was only vendor with the coveted "bucket seat" I love

Last edited:

MonicaTorres

Feb 13, 2017
Amador County, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Newbie here - extremely new. So horribly new, my new is shiny.

I went to the GPAA show at the Alameda County Fairgrounds. I live in Gold Country - Amador County, Upcountry (above 3k). My husband and I brought our sons and one of the boys girlfriend. Here is my thoughts:

1) We were disappointed it was so small.
2) I spent a bit of time at the AMRA at first just to look at what handouts they had, but then decided I'd take my time and ask my questions on California issues such as the SB-637 Suction Dredge senate bill. I don't understand it at all and asked what they were doing about it and what current lawsuits were pending, etc. The two ladies there took a lot of time with me and my husband explaining what it essentially meant, what they are doing to assist folks, and gave us information that we would work with our Congressman and local politicians on. I just wanted to understand, and I did walk away with more knowledge than I had thanks to their time.
3) Roaring Camp - Love them! These folks are local to us, and we wanted to know more so we spent time there at that booth.
4) Jewelry - Not interested so we spent zero time with that.
5) The seminar done by Mike Pung of Gold Cube was good, but being new - I guess I just was learning terms, etc.

Overall for a beginner, I wished there was more information in a seminar type format. The folks at Royal, Black Sheep Mining, and the area to do some panning were a lot of assistance to us.

I really really wish there was more time to speak with folks who've done prospecting. We're going out on our own, joined GPAA, and are just in it to have fun and enjoy our environment and meet some folks.

Perhaps we will check into the Motherlode GPAA Club, but they meet outside of the area (why not in the Motherlode?). We'll get there. Thanks for hearing my 2 cents. :)

Monica

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks kinda scaled back, hope the other ones are better, the states motorized mining ban has wrecked havoc our industry.
video(starts@4:00min in);https://www.facebook.com/GoldProspectors/videos/1240964995939988/

PLP still not working things out, and not allowed at the GPAA gold shows.
from feb newsletter;
Though our membership voted in new By-Laws last year which we are now operating under, the Board Members that resigned last July are still having their charade meetings, pretending to be PLP Board Members at Keene Engineering's office. We are saddened to announce that because of these actions, by GPAA's request, PLP will not be allowed to set up at any of their events until GPAA is satisfied that the Board dispute has been resolved.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tuolumne

Want example of Gpaa blowing it?
Here is how they informed me, by handing me GPAA pick n shovel gazette newsletter volume 26 issue 1 from feb-march 2014!!!

Wow thanks for the news/issue update!
That's really the least they could do.

At least ICMJ gave out free current issues

How come no miners district talks or booths? Lol

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant remember the links here's some letters I saved.
mostly they wanted to step up their support of MMAC
sorry for sidetracking the thread wont let me post in a PM

PLP pdf (click to open)
View attachment MMAC_PLP.pdf

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure doesnt build my confidence things are going to get better for the average guy out there now.

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Newbie here - extremely new. So horribly new, my new is shiny.

I went to the GPAA show at the Alameda County Fairgrounds. I live in Gold Country - Amador County, Upcountry (above 3k). My husband and I brought our sons and one of the boys girlfriend. Here is my thoughts:

1) We were disappointed it was so small.
2) I spent a bit of time at the AMRA at first just to look at what handouts they had, but then decided I'd take my time and ask my questions on California issues such as the SB-637 Suction Dredge senate bill. I don't understand it at all and asked what they were doing about it and what current lawsuits were pending, etc. The two ladies there took a lot of time with me and my husband explaining what it essentially meant, what they are doing to assist folks, and gave us information that we would work with our Congressman and local politicians on. I just wanted to understand, and I did walk away with more knowledge than I had thanks to their time.
3) Roaring Camp - Love them! These folks are local to us, and we wanted to know more so we spent time there at that booth.
4) Jewelry - Not interested so we spent zero time with that.
5) The seminar done by Mike Pung of Gold Cube was good, but being new - I guess I just was learning terms, etc.

Overall for a beginner, I wished there was more information in a seminar type format. The folks at Royal, Black Sheep Mining, and the area to do some panning were a lot of assistance to us.

I really really wish there was more time to speak with folks who've done prospecting. We're going out on our own, joined GPAA, and are just in it to have fun and enjoy our environment and meet some folks.

Perhaps we will check into the Motherlode GPAA Club, but they meet outside of the area (why not in the Motherlode?). We'll get there. Thanks for hearing my 2 cents. :)

Monica

Monica, mark your calendar now for the Delta Gold Diggers show in Sonora, August 19 and 20th. You won't be disappointed.

View attachment GoldOutdoorFestival2017.pdf

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I don't follow these shows anymore BUT I didn't think TOM even goes to these shows anymore...does he? He hardly does any Gold Fever shows and then he shows newbees how to do things UNSAFE! AND goes into mines when he tells everyone else to" stay out ,stay alive!" and then he goes in to the mines despite his own recommendations! NOT SMART!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread