GPX 4500*Advice

paul75

Apr 9, 2016
DURHAM GB
Detector(s) used
ebinger ebex pi, nokta fors core.CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi I've*been looking for a new metal detector for a while now trying to decide which one would be best for me. its to hunt for*silver hammered coins and Roman. But recently ive been looking at the GPX detectors, i can't*afford the 5000 but the 4500 looks pretty good*value at the moment so i think thats the one*i would go for. has anyone had any experience with one of these machines,would*it be a*wise choice??*im just after as much info on these as possible.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The GPX 4500 is a BARGAIN right now! Make SURE that a day of lessons in the field is INCLUDED with your purchase. These machines are in a class of their own, and you must have the right basic instruction. Best of luck! :skullflag:

OP
OP
P

paul75

Apr 9, 2016
DURHAM GB
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Terry. they are quite expensive but well worth it i think.*at least i shouldn't need to upgrade for a while. *
The GPX 4500 is a BARGAIN right now! Make SURE that a day of lessons in the field is INCLUDED with your purchase. These machines are in a class of their own, and you must have the right basic instruction. Best of luck! :skullflag:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paul I recently bought a GPX 4500 from a good friend and dealer. It takes a while to really understand what this thing is telling you. But if you hunt fields that aren't too trashy I can assure you if it's in the ground you will put it in your keeper case. I bought mine from Keith at Fort Bedford. He is incredible and has tons of experience with these machines. They are incredible on the salt water shorelines as well. Salt doesn't bother these at all! I'm not much of a water hunter but I've taken this to a couple of old shorelines and this thing is a monster. I even found this one day
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485899705.914022.jpg
If you hunt trashy sites or iron ridden areas forget it my friend. You will lose your mind....but like I said if you hunt fields or areas with little trash and good deep targets the GPX is killer. To be totally honest if you're not hunting for gold with it it's every bit as good as the 5000.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
That's a nugget machine though, right ? So if you're going to be using those in furrowed fields of England to hunt for hammered coins, then won't the bells of notre dame ring for ever pinhead, staple, pushpin, nail, etc.... ? No way to knock out iron (beyond the top 6" or so of depth range).

OP
OP
P

paul75

Apr 9, 2016
DURHAM GB
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info Ahab8 thats good to know its very much appreciated �� Amazing find aswell wahoooo GOLD!
Paul I recently bought a GPX 4500 from a good friend and dealer. It takes a while to really understand what this thing is telling you. But if you hunt fields that aren't too trashy I can assure you if it's in the ground you will put it in your keeper case. I bought mine from Keith at Fort Bedford. He is incredible and has tons of experience with these machines. They are incredible on the salt water shorelines as well. Salt doesn't bother these at all! I'm not much of a water hunter but I've taken this to a couple of old shorelines and this thing is a monster. I even found this one day
View attachment 1409261
If you hunt trashy sites or iron ridden areas forget it my friend. You will lose your mind....but like I said if you hunt fields or areas with little trash and good deep targets the GPX is killer. To be totally honest if you're not hunting for gold with it it's every bit as good as the 5000.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

paul75

Apr 9, 2016
DURHAM GB
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Tom its for quiet fields and hunted out sites, ive got the nokta fors core at the moment and im getting great depths with it but there is older and deeper coins and relics there to be found. on quiet a few occasions the signals have been so iffy they sound like deep scratchy iron but when ive dug them up they have been hammered silver and even found some*roman*silver one*of the worst signals was a julius Caesar silver. so theres some amaizing finds left just a bit to deep for the vlf detectors to clearly pick up. thats why im thinking get a GPX go slow and dig everything. I understand what your saying theres thousands of years of trash and history in the ground. But i think its the only way*to get the good stuff, theres no rush ive got as long as i like so all ive got to do is get something that goes deep and dig and dig and dig some more theres going to be loads of rubish but theres going to*be some amaizing finds aswell that other people cannot reach. �� HH*
That's a nugget machine though, right ? So if you're going to be using those in furrowed fields of England to hunt for hammered coins, then won't the bells of notre dame ring for ever pinhead, staple, pushpin, nail, etc.... ? No way to knock out iron (beyond the top 6" or so of depth range).

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Sure. You can get a coin down to 2 ft. deep with those super power house nugget machines. But you will go bonkers in land sites with any type nails, IMHO. And you call the fields "clean", but .... you simply have no idea how much more "little flecks" are there till you've tried it with a machine like the 4500.

And you might *think* that you can "2nd guess" the sounds, to simply pass BB's . But the devil will be in the details: a Birdshot at an inch might mimic a coin at 2 ft ? I dunno.

Have you considered a Sovereign WOT combo ? That can get a USA small cent to nearly 1.5 ft. deep WHILE retaining good idea of TID and WHILE rejecting iron. But it's a real fishy warbly setup to get used to :)

OP
OP
P

paul75

Apr 9, 2016
DURHAM GB
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HI Tom is that the sovereign GT? with the wot coil
Sure. You can get a coin down to 2 ft. deep with those super power house nugget machines. But you will go bonkers in land sites with any type nails, IMHO. And you call the fields "clean", but .... you simply have no idea how much more "little flecks" are there till you've tried it with a machine like the 4500.

And you might *think* that you can "2nd guess" the sounds, to simply pass BB's . But the devil will be in the details: a Birdshot at an inch might mimic a coin at 2 ft ? I dunno.

Have you considered a Sovereign WOT combo ? That can get a USA small cent to nearly 1.5 ft. deep WHILE retaining good idea of TID and WHILE rejecting iron. But it's a real fishy warbly setup to get used to :)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
HI Tom is that the sovereign GT? with the wot coil

yes. And get the Sunray ID meter if you can find it, as a fun attachment. Or ... if you're in relic mindset (dig all except iron), then just go by tones. I watched a guy dig a corroded zinc penny on the wet salt beach at 14" deep, and correctly "call it" with that setup.

OP
OP
P

paul75

Apr 9, 2016
DURHAM GB
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom im already getting 14'' deep on*my fields wiith the fors core with the 15'' mars coil im after something much deeper.*I dont want to plough money into detectors to end up wanting to upgrade again because im only getting a few more inches. it needs to be something that goes 2' at least ive got the money its just wether theres a detector out there that can do that. It sounds like a really good detector but dont get me wrong im grateful for your time and advice but it needs to be the muts nuts
yes. And get the Sunray ID meter if you can find it, as a fun attachment. Or ... if you're in relic mindset (dig all except iron), then just go by tones. I watched a guy dig a corroded zinc penny on the wet salt beach at 14" deep, and correctly "call it" with that setup.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions