Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master
ACE 250
AT Pro
Garrett Pin Pointer
Meaty hand shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
so, I left the Honey Hole alone today. I had some time and was stranded at home so I hit the backyard. I live in an old Catholic Rectory that I converted to a house several years ago. Anyways, I have about an acre and of course I have hunted it several times in the past...maybe 6 or so both with my ACE 250 and now my ATP. I have pulled 2 mercs, a 1904 IH, several old flat buttons, a dozen or so really cool loop back flat buttons, (2) Model T radiator caps, 3 rings all fake...one was a GAWDY fake wedding ring...I hope the chick found out it was fake and threw it in the yard.

Today I pulled a FAT Indian out of the yard, I stacked it up against a 1863 Fatboy and they were the same. Not sure of the date, I can see the head of the Indian, a rough outline of the wreath on the back but that's about it. I also got the Rosie a wheat AND I found my first Buffalo. No kidding, 3 years and this is the first one I have pulled out of the ground. For most dudes, not a big deal, for me its been such an awesome season, this makes 4 bucket list coins in a little over a month. Is it me, or are any nickels tough to get on the AT Pro? I find significantly less nickels than I do any other coin...is it me? Here you go! Thanks for looking and HH

Attachments

• Backyard Finds - 1st Buff 11-12-14.jpg
    Backyard Finds - 1st Buff 11-12-14.jpg
    827.1 KB · Views: 173
Upvote 9

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gringo , Nice finds - and don't feel too bad about just finding your first Buffalo nickel , it took me about 8 years to find mine , and I still
haven't found an Indian Head cent ten years out !!!

OP
OP
G
Oct 15, 2014
Delaware County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master
ACE 250
AT Pro
Garrett Pin Pointer
Meaty hand shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Argentium, I have had a wicked year with them! Funny you say that, I ran into a dude in the woods with a detector, really good dude, named Woody. We started talking coins and I went down my list and he had found pretty much all of them. I got to the Indian Heads and he sighed..."that's the one coin that has eluded me". Like I said before, what a great year and I really wish I picked this hobby up as a kid. Thanks for the Input my man. BTW, I am a graduate of UNM! I played football there for Franchione, 92-95. Santa Fe is a cool spot, how is the dirt? From what I recall it looked like a kind of hard packed tough to dig dirt?

Dave2000

Oct 13, 2014
Long Island, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT (Coils: 5x8, stock, Tornado)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! I have an acre and all it has yielded so far is clad (including a '55 wheat), several bullet fragments, and some underwhelming 20th century relics.

Is it me, or are any nickels tough to get on the AT Pro? I find significantly less nickels than I do any other coin...is it me?

It's definitely not you. So many junk targets give me a clean nickel signal on my ATP (the metal piece that holds the eraser on a pencil, and shotgun shells, to name a few). I'm actually surprised when I actually recover a nickel after getting a good nickel signal, which is kind of weird.

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat Finds!!! Pretty neat how much deeper the new machines will go compared to the old!!!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gringo , The dirt in Santa Fe is just fine , however the area is so historically sensitive - (Native American /Early Spanish )
that finding places to detect is challenging - and as we all know - with development comes more asphalt and concrete , making
less dirt available to a search coil . You have to really think "outside the box" to find some tiny dirt patch that is intact from
a century or more ago !

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a neat house and yard. You have to make up your mind to specifically target nickels on your machine or dig everything up. My nickel count is off the charts this year, but I've only dug 2 Buffalos and 1 V nickel. No war nickels. I think I have been slim on both war nickels and zinc because although I upped my lower conductivity count, I started to discriminate mid-range targets in my mind and I am sure that I've walked past a few this year.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first few months with my AT Pro I was very low on the nickle count, I also had a tough time finding a Buffalo. Finally after being in the right place my coil went over a couple Buffs, I remember this particular time because all the signals were ringing up weird numbers and were very scratchy. I always liked to hunt in pro coin, then clean up a signal by hitting the mode button once to switch to all metal, then I could hear that signal better. That site had a ton of coal in the soil. Anyhow the older nicks rang lower and not as clear the War nicks rang just a tiny bit higher. When my pulltab and shotgun headstamp counts went up, my nickle counts went up.

Nice coins, you have a good spot in your own yard, keep hitting it and dig everything!

OP
OP
G
Oct 15, 2014
Delaware County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master
ACE 250
AT Pro
Garrett Pin Pointer
Meaty hand shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome feedback fellas, I am going to focus an low mid range tones to get that end of my game a little sharper. V Nickel is also a bucket list coin, I guess I have to approach it like golf...work on the short game!

Let me throw another one out regarding silver. The vast majority of my silver coins at some point of the coil swing hit a 90 number. like a mercury dime will go from 81 straight on and at 90 degrees to the target it might go 81/93. The Rosie I pulled out was a 66 hard each way...Pointman...this is related to your response...what the heck have I been walking over? If anyone has dug a large silver, say half dollar or any big silver for that matter, how did it ring up on your ATP? The 66 on the Rosie almost made me mad...it should have been a 81! Learning curves are great specially when you actually learn something from it! Best thing is, this learning curve is not hand grenade tossing or something like that...it's head scratching "do I really want to bend down and dig up what I am pretty sure is a bottle cap"...the agony...Thanks again fellas, any feedback on larger silver reading would be awesome.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread