Great Day of Detecting & Firsts With the Ace 400!

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This afternoon I finally had some time to detect without the ground being frozen. I had detected a lot in my yard with my old Bounty Hunter, but I just recently got an Ace 400, so I decided to see what I could find in my yard that my Bounty Hunter had missed. It was a success. I started by going to a spot where I had found a lot of 1800s relics. After swinging the coil for a while I got a really good signal and soon dug this cool relic up.
saltshakertop.JPG
It is the top off an old pepper/salt shaker. It appears to be made of aluminium.

I search some more in the same spot and dig this old iron spoon or fork handle.
spookforkhandle.JPG

After searching some more in the same spot, with no luck, I move to a hill in front of my house where I have found a wide rage of cool relics datind from the mid-1700s to the 1940s. After searching for a few minutes I get an okay high-low. Soon afterwards I dig up this cool colonial flat button!
colonialsilverplatedflatbuttonfront.JPG
This button appears to be made of brass with a silver coating. The shank (which is intact) is also made of brass.
sideshotcolonialbutton.JPG
Moving to the right by 4 feet a get a good coin tone. I dig the plug but my machine says the target is near the edge of the hole, so I dig a second plug where the target is. After checking the new plug with my machine, it is apparent it is in the new plug. After locating the target with my Propointer, I carefully dig with my hand shovel. A green penny pops out. My heart starts to race. ''Could it be an Indian?!" I thought and brushed the dirt off. The Indian Head appears. Then I see the date. 1885. My heart pounds even harder. I realize that this is my first 1800s coin AND the first coin I have ever found with my Ace 400! Here are some pictures after a cleaning with water, a Q-tip and some Vaseline.
1885 indianfront.jpg
angle shot 1885 indian.JPG
1885indianback.jpg
Although, it is hard to tell from my picture, this coin is in VERY good condition. You can still see the "Liberty" on the headdress, But unfortunately the coin is slightly bent. (before the coin was lost, not something I did)

Thank you for reading this post!

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

Upvote 14

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always a thrill to find an IHP, not a common find at all.

In 10 years I have found maybe a dozen, oldest civil war era. 400 is a nice machine, I have one too.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

How fortunate! To have an Indian Head Cent christening!

WTG!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the successful hunt with your ACE 400.
I like the Indian Head Penny
They are always fun to find.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't quite see from the picture but that may be a drilled shank button. Perhaps a bit earlier if that's the case.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds, congratulations! Sure love those IH cents. :occasion14:

OP
OP
VTColonialDigger

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you everyone for your kind remarks!

Scrappy, you said something about the button I found. I would be interested to get a date range on it. Here is a better picture. The shank is a loop of brass inserted into the main button.
closeup colonial button.jpg
sideshotcolonialbutton2.jpg
Here is another

Last edited:

gold panner

May 22, 2016
vermont
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting