Great Find In Reject Chute

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: My finds in boxes & tellers haven't been the greatest lately. However today I made a great find in the reject chute at one of my dump banks. I found a English silver 1860 1 Shilling coin in the rejects. It has Queen Victoria on it. It is quite worn but the rim still has the ridges & the date is very clear. It's now my oldest foreign silver coin that I have found. MY 2nd oldest is now my silver 1862 Indian 1 Rupee with Queen Victoria on it wearing Indian clothes. As Riley Boy says "It's still out there". You just don't know when & how you will find it.

HH
Gary

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW congrats on the old silver, foreign or not, Sag might be able to help you out as I don't have my world coin book in front of me for reference, but it might be a harder date and sterling silver!
HH
Buff

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find.

Aside fom the date, I believe this is it:

Weight - 5.67 grams
Silver - .925
1860 Mintage - 1,671,000

CW3RETUSARMYsfind_zpse37f88cc.jpg

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Speaking of old silver coins, many months ago while going thru my boxes of dimes ( a few Rosie's) out pops out '1875' Deutsches Reich '5'Pfennig coin. I think it's silver, badly worn but readable. Any help here, silver?, value if any? Or just junk.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous coin. Do you have a picture of yours? Very nice find.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Speaking of old silver coins, many months ago while going thru my boxes of dimes ( a few Rosie's) out pops out '1875' Deutsches Reich '5'Pfennig coin. I think it's silver, badly worn but readable. Any help here, silver?, value if any? Or just junk.

No, it is copper nickel. What is the mintmark (by the claws of the eagle)?

kaiser613

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never seen one of them in a return chute but that's how I found my first flying eagle

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finds like his really make crhing exciting. The old foreign silver coins are really something to look at.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
C

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin is worth $19 in F.

??? Hey Sagittarius,
Is that for the German 1875 5 Pennifg coin or my 1860 English 1 Shilling coin? If it is my coin, what makes it a F? Everything on the coin (lettering, date, crown & wreath) are strong. Only Queen Victoria on the obverse is worn smooth, a little of the hair is still evident, but you can definately see her easily.

HH
Gary

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
??? Hey Sagittarius,
Is that for the German 1875 5 Pennifg coin or my 1860 English 1 Shilling coin? If it is my coin, what makes it a F? Everything on the coin (lettering, date, crown & wreath) are strong. Only Queen Victoria on the obverse is worn smooth, a little of the hair is still evident, but you can definately see her easily.

HH
Gary

The value is for your shilling. Can you post a picture of it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread