Ground probe spacing

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve heard different spacing distance between the two ground probes for frequency generators. Dell Winders said like two inches or so. Others say five inches. One said twenty-five feet! The other day I was doing some research on this and I found out the farther apart the probes are the less resistance. I suppose up to a point. Down in Florida moist ground I can see close spacing might be all you need. But in dry ground it just might be worth it to experiment with the probes farther apart. I know it sounds counter intuitive but the way the flux lines curve, they go deeper with more probe spacing so you get more ground to work with.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve heard different spacing distance between the two ground probes for frequency generators. Dell Winders said like two inches or so. Others say five inches. One said twenty-five feet! The other day I was doing some research on this and I found out the farther apart the probes are the less resistance. I suppose up to a point. Down in Florida moist ground I can see close spacing might be all you need. But in dry ground it just might be worth it to experiment with the probes farther apart. I know it sounds counter intuitive but the way the flux lines curve, they go deeper with more probe spacing so you get more ground to work with.
I could make a better comparison like electrical wire: a short thin wire when probes are close together but a longer, much thicker wire when probes are farther apart.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread