Tony_agr

Jun 1, 2014
Placerville
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm in need of a dredge, since I live in CA, it has to be a hand dredge. I'm looking to get anyone's experience,opinion,recommendation as to the best one to purchase, I could make my own, but the sand and gravel I see lying on the bedrock and in the cracks wont wait, these last series of storms got my little creek down to bed rock in many places, so hoprfully what I think is gold,is gold, I have a small gold sucker but want something stronger, has anyone used the Furreman (sp?)hand dredge with that box called the sandman? it looks pretty good and I need something that pulls up material, the one I have is ok for pin pointing, but it takes forever to fill a 2 gallon bucket to run through the sluice. Not wanting to spend a fortune as I'm still pretty upside down on expenses vs gold, thr Furreman with the sandman is about $100, thats reasonable. Any help is much appreciated..
Or if anyone has a dredge (small <2")and wants to rent it to me for a week or so, that would work also. I live in El Dorado county,CA.. the creek is on my property and I have no nosy neighbors.
Thank You
Merry Christmas
Tony

Upvote 0

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get a 2" or a 3". I know lots of prospectors swear by the bucket hand dredges, but just as many swear at them! With a 2" super gold sucker with nozzles you can easily clean out most cracks and crevices. One of th e secrets when using a super gold sucker is not to move too fast when you bring it out of the water. A simple twist of the wrist so the 45 points up will keep the material in the super gold sucker. BUT if you move too fast and get in a hurry when empting into your bucket, pan or sluice, you can actually thrown material out! I did not realize this until one time in TN. my son in law told me becasue he was watching. So I slowed down a little.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions