Has Chicago City Council Outlawed Metal Detectors in City Parks?

TDogger

Jan 22, 2016
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Freedom III, Garrett ADS Groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm planning a trip to Chicago and may decide to hit a couple of old parks with my detectors. I recently heard that the Chicago City Council outlawed the use of metal detectors in city parks. Does anyone know if this is true.

I see plenty of videos on YouTube with hunts in Chicago parks.

I'll be around the Lincoln Park area on the north side. That area was originally the Chicago Cemetery and was the northern-most reach of the Chicago Fire of 1871. Many of the graves were moved, but at least 10,000 unclaimed graves remain under Lincoln Park. Some are in current residential areas. i don't plan to get into grave robbing, but am curious if that presents any additional restrictions.

I have not found anything online about the city council decree or about metal detecting laws/rules in general in Chicago parks.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not found anything online about the city council decree or about metal detecting laws/rules in general in Chicago parks.
Maybe its your imagination ?
There is an old saying, it's better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission ... ha ha ha

OP
OP
T

TDogger

Jan 22, 2016
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe its your imagination ?
There is an old saying, it's better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission ... ha ha ha
Yep. That's why I'm asking. The Chicago police are not generally very forgiving, so the forgiveness part will probably not work.

A friend in Chicago told me about the detector ban. He said there was a $500 fine and confiscation of the detector. Given all the lunacy in Chicago politics, an ordinance like that is not beyond belief. However, I cannot find any evidence to support his claim.

I sent a message to the Illinois Metal Detecting Association. I received their reply this morning. They say all Chicago beaches and parks are open to detecting.

If anyone in the Windy City knows anything different, please let me know.

Last edited:

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know what the regs are but whatever is there they can keep in that cesspool!!!!!!!

OP
OP
T

TDogger

Jan 22, 2016
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched a show a couple of years ago (I think it was on the History Channel) where a group with metal detectors was looking for artifacts or mob loot. The Chicago PD showed up and shut the hunt down because their digging tools were considered weapons. They had permission from the property owner, but that didn't matter. It also didn't matter that a full camera crew was there, which verified the fact that the operation was legit.

They were told to pack up and leave. Go figure.

Last edited:

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched a show a couple of years ago (I think it was on the History Channel) where a group with metal detectors was looking for artifacts or mob loot. The Chicago PD showed up and shut the hunt down because their digging tools were considered weapons. They had permission from the property owner, but that didn't matter. It also didn't matter that a full camera crew was there, which verified the fact that the operation was legit.

Can you find this ?
Maybe this is why your so scared ?

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

And just to be clear, THIS STORY doesn't seem legitimate, LAW ENFORCEMENT does not have jurisdiction over PRIVATE PROPERTY, if these people had permission and Police came to run them off, they could be held legally liable ....
This doesn't sound true...
Maybe if they were in a city park, and thought they had permission, and the police showed up, BUT not on private property. Police are not allowed on Private Property without some kind of Warrant, which would have been requested by the homeowner.
my two cents..

OP
OP
T

TDogger

Jan 22, 2016
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It didn't seem right to me, either. I suspect either someone called the PD or it was staged for the show. I don't remember the specific show. It was some type of reality show where I believe they were looking for artifacts about something that occurred on the property.

The issue with the PD was not that they were using metal detectors, but rather that they were wearing knives and digging tools in public, which the cops may have jurisdiction over. Of course, if it's legitimate to use these tools in parks, there should not have been an issue with private property.

My question was simply one of whether or not there is an ordinance prohibiting metal detecting in city parks. My friend insists he heard it on the news a while ago, but I have not found any evidence to support that.

I grew up in Chicago, so I know from experience that it's usually useless to call the city offices.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Drama on the TV? In today's reality show vibe? Say it ain't so, Joe....

Have fun and hope you find some spots with nice old keepers!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It didn't seem right to me, either. I suspect either someone called the PD or it was staged for the show. I don't remember the specific show. It was some type of reality show where I believe they were looking for artifacts about something that occurred on the property.

The issue with the PD was not that they were using metal detectors, but rather that they were wearing knives and digging tools in public, which the cops may have jurisdiction over. Of course, if it's legitimate to use these tools in parks, there should not have been an issue with private property.

My question was simply one of whether or not there is an ordinance prohibiting metal detecting in city parks. My friend insists he heard it on the news a while ago, but I have not found any evidence to support that.

I grew up in Chicago, so I know from experience that it's usually useless to call the city offices.
Anything to do with reality shows is basically BS.
They'll do anything for viewership ratings.

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but rather that they were wearing knives and digging tools in public, which the cops may have jurisdiction over.
Not on PRIVATE PROPERTY they don't... Why should the police care what your doing on Private Property ?

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would go to ANY PLACE public that doesn't have a NP Trespassing sign and hunt until someone said something, I think your seeing too much into this...
A TV show that happened years ago that you can't find information on ? A neighbor that thinks they heard "something about metal detecting" ?
Go hunting already and tell us what happens.. ha ha ha I don't think anything will happen...

OP
OP
T

TDogger

Jan 22, 2016
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this is what my friend heard and he got the wires crossed with Chicago city parks. The Chicago Cook County area has many Forest Preserves. This applies to Forest Preserves and Nature Centers, not city parks.

Can I use a metal detector?

No. Metal detecting is prohibited. Even practiced responsibly, metal detecting disrupts soils and negatively impacts plants and animals.

Anyone caught metal detecting in the Forest Preserves is subject to a fine of $75 to $500 per offense.

If you see someone using a metal detector or digging in the Forest Preserves, please call our police department at 708-771-1000.

FYI. Several Forest Preserves and city parks in Cook County were once dumps back in the 1800s and early 1900s. If you could dig deep enough, you would probably find some interesting goodies.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread