Haven't seen coins in awhile.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today get a phone call to come look at some coins. Fell into a haul. Sold a bunch of junk silver at spot for $500. Have a bunch of stuff left over. Took a gamble on a bunch of Canadian 1800 large cents. Paid $.50 apiece for them. One is worth what I paid for all of them. I was shocked! Nothing spectacular but after I was done buying them he said that this was not even the tip of the iceberg. Going back later this week...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485483587.512272.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485483690.720139.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485483707.479912.jpg

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you kidding me?? You are the luckiest guy I ever knew of! How about you send me your lucky penny?? I'll give it back..:tongue3:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that is lucky. I search garage sale sites looking for the ones like this.....Dang that is nice.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a little advice never put coins on your finger tips!! I was just at a coin show and some dude laid his fingers on the surface of my Morgan dollar, everyone I told who collects coins freaked out. Now I gotta soak it in acetone to remove the oils so they don't show up in 5 years and ruin a $250 coin.... urgh!! Wear cotton gloves or at least hold them by the rim. Especially since that dime may be worth a lot... more than my Morgan

Regardless great finds!! the Canada one cent https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/canada-cent-km-1-1858-18598-cuid-1-duid-2

Without seeing the reverse of the Merc I'd say around VF grade? I don't know what that gunk is on it though...

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a little advice never put coins on your finger tips!! I was just at a coin show and some dude laid his fingers on the surface of my Morgan dollar, everyone I told who collects coins freaked out. Now I gotta soak it in acetone to remove the oils so they don't show up in 5 years and ruin a $250 coin.... urgh!! Wear cotton gloves or at least hold them by the rim. Especially since that dime may be worth a lot... more than my Morgan

Regardless great finds!! the Canada one cent https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/canada-cent-km-1-1858-18598-cuid-1-duid-2

Without seeing the reverse of the Merc I'd say around VF grade? I don't know what that gunk is on it though...

Gotcha. Thanks. The gunk, not sure. But a lot of these coin books were water damaged. Or from the humidity. May be mold? Idk. Did a .99 auction though. Here is the back.

Funny thing in the book it was sitting in the 21D spot. Popped it out and there was no mint Mark I was happy with that! I think they're worth a little bit more than the D? I don't know. Part of me wants to keep it but I really don't collect coins anymore.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485519897.880943.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485519939.758711.jpg

Last edited:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotcha. Thanks. The gunk, not sure. But a lot of these coin books were water damaged. Or from the humidity. May be mold? Idk. Did a .99 auction though. Here is the back.

Funny thing in the book it was sitting in the 21D spot. Popped it out and there was no mint Mark I was happy with that! I think they're worth a little bit more than the D? I don't know. Part of me wants to keep it but I really don't collect coins anymore.

View attachment 1407367
View attachment 1407368

What is your ebay name?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
J you dog!....
I hit up a sale off McGregor this am, and my question on coins was a yes!....
Dude offerered to sell me 100 common foreign coins for $600!...what a tool.... told me he had gotten an offer for $150.
I offerered to SELL him 500 foreign coins for 20 bucks, then he could flip them for $3000....he told me to leave his property.:laughing7:

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
J you dog!....
I hit up a sale off McGregor this am, and my question on coins was a yes!....
Dude offerered to sell me 100 common foreign coins for $600!...what a tool.... told me he had gotten an offer for $150.
I offerered to SELL him 500 foreign coins for 20 bucks, then he could flip them for $3000....he told me to leave his property.:

That's crazy. I gave this guy's daughter my phone number over a year and a half ago. He called this week. Said he can't wait to meet me.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Yes, you should be careful when handling coins. However, just placing it on your fingertip really isn't a big deal. Especially if it is a worn coin, such as this one. It is really only an issue on Unc or higher grade coins.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For anyone interested here is an amazing website I always use while I'm out on the hunt. Have this on my phone 24/7. Just go to side and pick what coins you are looking at, fantastic!! Mercury Dimes - US Coin Prices and Values

If anyone asks what am I doing when I'm staring at my phone while I have a bunch of coins in front of me, instead of saying I'm looking at how much they're worth, I say I'm looking to see what coins I need for my collection.

Yes, you should be careful when handling coins. However, just placing it on your fingertip really isn't a big deal. Especially if it is a worn coin, such as this one. It is really only an issue on Unc or higher grade coins.
That's why everyone freaked out about that guy touching my AU Morgan. Doesn't seem like a big deal, all I gotta do is get some pure acetone, and literally dip my coin in for like 10-15 seconds, let it air dry and call it good. Acetone is great for silver and gold coins, doesn't hurt the value at all supposedly, and grading companies won't mark it down either.

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
For anyone interested here is an amazing website I always use while I'm out on the hunt. Have this on my phone 24/7. Just go to side and pick what coins you are looking at, fantastic!! Mercury Dimes - US Coin Prices and Values

If anyone asks what am I doing when I'm staring at my phone while I have a bunch of coins in front of me, instead of saying I'm looking at how much they're worth, I say I'm looking to see what coins I need for my collection.

That's why everyone freaked out about that guy touching my AU Morgan. Doesn't seem like a big deal, all I gotta do is get some pure acetone, and literally dip my coin in for like 10-15 seconds, let it air dry and call it good. Acetone is great for silver and gold coins, doesn't hurt the value at all supposedly, and grading companies won't mark it down either.

It is basically a misnomer that you can't ever "clean" coins. If you know what you are doing, you can clean a coin and not affect it's value. If anything, cleaning a coin PROPERLY will increase it's eye appeal. The reason people get it pounded into their brain that "you should never clean a coin" is because most beginner coin collectors think that cleaning a coin means polishing, buffing, and using harsh chemical cleaners. Of course, this is the IMPROPER way to clean a coin and should be avoided.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread