Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I shipped out 6 rivet tools in a small flat rate Priority box . He says it arrived empty . My receipt says it weighed 2 lbs. 14.10 oz. . I also sealed the end tab with duct tape .

He says the box is not damaged and the duct tape is still on it & it looks like it was never opened . He also says there is a sticker on it that said ''arrived at post office with no contents''

I wonder how my insurance claim will go ?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I did receive an empty package one time, but it was obviously tampered with and the sender made good.

If the "receiver" of your package had done the right thing, when he saw that sticker he'd have taken pictures prior to opening himself and sent to you. I would have!

Good luck on the insurance!

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are ya POSITIVE,,ya put en in the box?
I would be trying to "trace" the "possession" of the box too.
If you are positive you had items in it,,,then SOMEONE,,SOMEWHERE removed them and re-sealed the box.

HOW DID THE POST OFFICE KNOW THERE WERE NO CONTENTS? That is a flag for me.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This^^^

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Are ya POSITIVE,,ya put en in the box?
I would be trying to "trace" the "possession" of the box too.
If you are positive you had items in it,,,then SOMEONE,,SOMEWHERE removed them and re-sealed the box.

HOW DID THE POST OFFICE KNOW THERE WERE NO CONTENTS? That is a flag for me.

The label says how much it weighs. If the label says 2#, and it's light as a feather, something doesn't add up.
Duct tape can be easily opened. I use clear heavy packing tape.

fireaero1

Jul 14, 2012
Gallitzin,pa
Detector(s) used
white eagle ll SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the postal inspector should get involved on this. If it had a sticker on it that said ''arrived at post office with no contents'' Did they open it? Or weigh it. Was it insured?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I shipped out 6 rivet tools in a small flat rate Priority box . He says it arrived empty . My receipt says it weighed 2 lbs. 14.10 oz. . I also sealed the end tab with duct tape .

He says the box is not damaged and the duct tape is still on it & it looks like it was never opened . He also says there is a sticker on it that said ''arrived at post office with no contents''

I wonder how my insurance claim will go ?
Ask him for photos of the box and the sticker via ebay messaging, you'll need them as proof/support for your claim. File a USPS insurance claim online, it's much easier and the refund comes much quicker from my personal experiences. https://www.usps.com/help/claims.htm I would imagine you took the package to the P.O. yourself so I would think you would know the contents were in it when it was mailed. If this is the case (''arrived at post office with no contents'') then there are only two options as to what happened, either a postal employee helped themselves (doubtful but possible) or the customer is lying (probable).

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
It sounds like the weight was correct when it left your PO and at some point along the way it arrived at his PO with the goods missing. I suspect the box had come open in transit and that's how they knew it was empty. In cases like this they will tape it up and deliver it anyway. All the conspiracy theories are fun to read though... Ask for detailed pictures of the box including all taped up area and see if there is any tape on it that was not put on by you

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like the weight was correct when it left your PO and at some point along the way it arrived at his PO with the goods missing. I suspect the box had come open in transit and that's how they knew it was empty. In cases like this they will tape it up and deliver it anyway. All the conspiracy theories are fun to read though... Ask for detailed pictures of the box including all taped up area and see if there is any tape on it that was not put on by you
Unless the buyer is scandalous and had his own ''arrived at post office with no contents'' sticker from a previous situation. Some people are very cunning and will try and rip you off even for a dollar sometimes. Pretty sad really.

Anyways, let us know how it turns out mojjax.

Treasure Found

Greenie
Feb 14, 2015
St. Augustine
Detector(s) used
No
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too ship U.S.P.S. and my local post office will always check my package and once they added tape to the package I was sending "just to be sure".
Also I am shocked they let you ship it with duct tape. I use a clear packing tape with a holder, when i am out of tape I replace the roll ( about $1.25 @ the dollar store) and 'ship on'.

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
usps approved my claim - I should be getting a check in the mail any day now . Hopefully it won't arrive empty .

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread