Head phones to buy.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a pair of Koss from Walmart. All I require is something with volume control. I have several pairs, different brands and such. Now if your talking waterproof headphones, then I don't know what to recommend.

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I have hearing loss in my left ear from shooting without hearing protection when I was young and dumb. I just bought a pair of Detector Pro "Ultimate Gray Ghost" headphones and I think they are worth the money for someone like me. They are a little more pricey than some for just the occasional 'hunter but they came highly recommended from my dealer. I know Kellyco sells them also. I got mine for $118.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a set of Jolly Rogers and Killer B's. my head is pretty large and the JR's fit me better. The B's are too tight on me. However they fit my daughter great.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Last edited:

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been thinking of getting a new pair myself- looking at a set of Pro 300's from Yamaha. Pricey but they look great. Bet they would sound nice and clear playing some F5 music!

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
OK , Here's my best answer for you and everyone who might want to ask the same question ... The higher the frequency response the better the sensitivity , I hope I worded that correctly .. And the majority ( if not all ) made exclusively for metal detecting have a 15 -20 frequency and volume controls , some have sound limiters to protect you hearing and all are built sturdy but sometimes can be uncomfortable .
Now you have to justifiably decide what your needs are and if the price tag is within you budget . If you want to pay extra for the limiter switch and durability you can by a pair of Sun Ray Golds for a mire $130 new .
Or if you just want a nice pair of headphones , any brand with the same frequency and volume controls on the cups will do fine . And those can cost from $25 to $50 . I hope this helps you decide what you want ... IMHO , Woodstock

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ratphones are the absolutely BEST there is for detecting. The problem is, the man who was making them may have stopped. Anyway, I ordered a set a year or so ago and luckily timed it when he was making up a run. He used the TOP quality materials for everything. AND, the pivot points where the earcups attached to the frame were off set so they fit completely around the ear and didn't have that irritating gap at the bottom that lets in outside sounds.
When you ordered phones from him, he would build them to match the empedence of your particular brand of detector. Since most name brand machines have the same basic plug circuitry, the phones can still be used with other makes.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The head phones that came with my MXTPRO have gone kuput. Any recommendations on a new pair? What kind and where to buy?
You can use almost any headphones with your detector. I think Whites uses 8 ohm phones, but most will work. if you have other phones, try them, you can't hurt them or your detector. The higher the reistance value of the phones in ohms, the lower the volume you will hear. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

Last edited:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The head phones that came with my MXTPRO have gone kuput. Any recommendations on a new pair? What kind and where to buy?

The main "property" of the phones to remember is the Ohms rating..........the higher the ohm value given; the more sensitive the phones should be to low power signals. That especially helps on the machines that you can run with a slight background hum. The more sensitive phones can detect the SLIGHT changes to that background hum.......the sign of a DEEP coin , ring, or other goodies.

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just ordered a set of garrett phones with volume control on each ear and you can set them mono or stereo. they were 30 bucks shipped on amazon and the reviews seemed to be all positive.
Amazon.com: Metal Detector Headphones: Patio, Lawn & Garden

obviously there are nicer ones out there but these should suit my needs just fine.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big difference having wireless when I got my v3i I got it with none to save a few bucks just used some corded ones it was fine but I found a new pair of there wireless ones for a really good deal so I jumped best move I made

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread