Heartbreaker for this guy......

Bob-E-Pin

Dec 31, 2012
El Paso Texas/Las Cruces New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro. and AT Gold, Nox 800,Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those who have seen my stuff over the years know I love old ghost town tokens. So me and Texas Yankee hit an old town and I found the rock with a good tone on the Nox. Pretty soon I knew I had a token. So into the soak it went. When I pulled it out, I began a VERY LIGHT SCRUBBING of the surface mineralization that had formed. I’ve done this before and it always works, not this time. This old thing must have had stress cracks because as soon as any tension hit it broke into 3 pieces. So I cleaned it up as good as I’m gonna get. I will spot glue the creases with super glue (nice and clear) and I am going to encase it and another cracked one in resin cubes so both sides can be displayed. Gotta make a positive out of a negative! It reads (Our House) on one side, the other (Good for ? In Trade) I found some similar 5 cent ones from Seattle.

29AED6EF-7F4C-473D-86E1-DB3C14039EBC.jpeg 01A9ECEF-D8AB-4EA2-B72D-2C07017FDA59.jpeg
72AB8644-42EF-4557-9131-9300E046F141.jpeg 0DD8924E-24E3-4139-95FA-AEF324A0334F.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 30

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to hit old ghost towns . I think it will look cool when your done it will give it personality I mean that thing is old Well done post it when your done I think it will look fine Tommy

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Still an awesome token. Kind of looks cool cracked like that. It shows its history. So, incased, it will be awesome and people can hold it without any further deterioration.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's really frustrating. Sorry to hear about the breakage. I'm curious to see what it looks like when you encase it. I've used that two part resin on some art projects. It's messy stuff and I've had varying results. Good luck and please post your finished cube I'd like to see it. Thanks.

OP
OP
Bob-E-Pin

Bob-E-Pin

Dec 31, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If done correctly, it is super easy if you use the right brand. I have done some pretty detailed stuff with it on my knife handles. I will definitely post the finished product.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool token, congrats! :occasion14:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still it's a great token, and you have all the pieces.
It's crazy what the soil can do to metal.
Years ago I dug a pretty rare "California Hall" brass uni-face 5ct. token, from Denver.
Just rubbing it to read what it said broke off a corner.

Honestly, I would just stick to the superglue, and not bother with the resin.

Not worth the risks of a having a blurry, off angle item.
Kudos!
Carl

OP
OP
Bob-E-Pin

Bob-E-Pin

Dec 31, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curdigger, part of me is starting to agree. I might just find a double pane display like the ones for photos that I can slide both tokens into and get the same result.

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain, I've ruined many a good find trying to clean them beyond what was capable or necessary :(

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Bob...that happens, and it won't be your last, such goes metal detecting! A long time ago, I dug my first pewter 18th century button, and before my seasoned friend could say "BE CAREFUL" I promptly broke it...ugh. Great find! Luv those tokens...Ddf.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread