Hello Beautiful Lady!!

Southpaw

Aug 26, 2012
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to a nearby CU and got $300 in CWR dimes. Every time I get dimes from this place it produces and this is no exception. I'm just about to head to work right now and I thought I would open just one roll and what do you know!! My first merc! It had a really dirty rim so at first glance, I didn't even know I had silver in the roll. It's a 1941 by the way.

Attachments

• image-4123067238.jpg
    image-4123067238.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 131
Upvote 0

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet.. Love those mercs.. I got 3 of them this week..

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sagittarius98 said:
Liberty is a lady, unless she changed her sexual orientation in 1941.

Winged liberty or mercury dime. I always thought it was a lady but was mercury a male Greek god? Maybe that's where the dude concept came from.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice score there SP, can't wait to see whats in the rest of the rolls. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Aug 26, 2012
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Well after going through the remaining dimes, I finished with 2 Rosies and 2 Mercs. That's well above average for me! I also pulled a 1968 Canadian. Is the magnet test the only way to make sure it's silver?

And by the way, any online source that I checked says the he/she on the front of the mercury dime is a girl. At least I guessed right when I made the post.

Sorry about the poor camera quality. I'm using my iPod touch.

Attachments

• image-2007402251.jpg
    image-2007402251.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 97

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Winged liberty or mercury dime. I always thought it was a lady but was mercury a male Greek god? Maybe that's where the dude concept came from.

Many people thought that Liberty looked like Mercury on the dime, so they started calling them Mercury dimes or Mercs.

Well after going through the remaining dimes, I finished with 2 Rosies and 2 Mercs. That's well above average for me! I also pulled a 1968 Canadian. Is the magnet test the only way to make sure it's silver?

The magnet test, weighing it, a sound test and a specific density test would work.

The weight is just a 0.002 gram difference, so you would need one of these:

Amazon.com: American Weigh Gemini-20 Portable Milligram Scale, 20 by 0.001 G: Kitchen & Dining

The sound test isn't incredibly reliable, though 50% silver can have a silver tone, it won't always. A specific density test is too complicated to be worth your time (good for 1967 quarters, though). The last method is color, 50% silver will tone more silver like usually, but it isn't certain.

In other words, the magnet test is best.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread