Hello from Niles, Ohio (near Youngstown)

EdFromOhio

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2016
Northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. I've been lurking here for a while and thought I'd give the obligatory "hello world" message. :laughing7: What got me interested was a newspaper article about the Tri-County Metal Detecting club finding a gun used in a crime. Had no idea there were such clubs...

I've never been much into history until recently, and learning a lot about the town where I live (ironically where my ancestors moved to in 1852.) Doing research as to where things were and seeing tangible evidence of the world 150 years ago makes history a lot more interesting. I guess it could also be that I'm almost 50 and seem to "remember when" more than the current generation which makes me a bit of a relic in my own right.

I don't spend much time detecting, and I have cheap equipment. And by cheap, I mean REALLY cheap. I picked up the Harbor Freight 9-function detector and pin-pointer for $51 total. Just as good as the Minelab stuff! :laughing9: Not really, but it does a surprisingly good job for what it is.

Well, that's about it. Nice to be a part of the gang!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ed, having worked and lived in Niles I know your part of the country. First be sure to check out the old canal what you can find of it. Lots of old stuff near you so maybe might want to upgrade. Hobby Lobby with a 40% coupon you can print off will get you a better detector. But it would pay you to hit a sponsor here on tnet and but a medium priced detector. There is clubs, north and south of you. They can help you with the rules and questions you may have. Filing your holes and not using a shovel in the city parks and stuff. The ol nail finder as I call them Harbor Freight detectors is exactly how it is described in the manuals. Do yourself a favor and upgrade as soon as you can. Good Luck.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet..JPG Definitely upgrade detector for most fun.

OP
OP
E

EdFromOhio

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2016
Northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ed, having worked and lived in Niles I know your part of the country.

Wow, working here from New Mexico? What in the world would you be doing up here, other than maybe the natural gas boom/bust cycle that just happened?

OP
OP
E

EdFromOhio

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2016
Northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely upgrade detector for most fun.

Thanks for the suggestion and Casca's suggestion about Hobby Lobby. Due to some financial issues and a spicy Italian wife, this is what I have to work with for the foreseeable future. Plus I really hardly have any time time to go hunting anyway. I have a couple of areas nearby that were big in the late 1800's that I'm going to check out and what I don't find, I'll either find in the future with something better or someone else will have the pleasure. If nothing else, I've enjoyed finding all kinds of history about the area which was fun in itself.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, working here from New Mexico? What in the world would you be doing up here, other than maybe the natural gas boom/bust cycle that just happened?
Worked the local plastic plant. It was a bust. I'm in nm to stay.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
E

EdFromOhio

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2016
Northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worked the local plastic plant. It was a bust.

Sounds like Dinesol. They're the only plastic game in town, that I'm aware of. And ironically, their plant sits on the site of the first factory in Niles and where I was going to look around.

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ed I'm from Sharon, pa area what luck have you had searching or as you said don't get out much well there are still a few of us that do metal detecting even though most of us seem to be over 50 years old, anyway write back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions