firsttimer01

Aug 23, 2022

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What metal detector did you purchase and what Model ? I am asking because i would like to know if it is waterproof ?

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...heading down to Ocean Springs, Mississippi for the weekend and want to metal detect beaches and/or inland sites...
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: Mississippi for information...

PickTime

Jun 17, 2022
FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Welcome to the site. YouTube has numerous videos on getting started with the Simplex +. The learning curve is real and digging everything to start will help. Best of beginners luck to you.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just purchased my first metal detector and am heading down to Ocean Springs, Mississippi for the weekend and want to metal detect beaches and/or inland sites where I have a decent chance of finding something worth while. Can any of you tell me where to look or have any advice? Thanks you.
Ok Thats gives us a better idea. Where your going to hunt. Is it fresh water or Saltwater ? The reason i asked is the single frequency machines do not do as good as multi ones on salt water beaches. I guess i would start with the beach mode on the simplex. Try the Dry sand a bit I have better luck in the wet sand and into water maybe 4 foot deep. Be sure you have a nice long handled scoop. I dig EVERY SIGNAL . Practice how to pinpoint with your eyes closed then when you think you have it located open them and see how close to the target you are.
Learning how to swing and recover items fast is IMPORTANT !!!

GOOD LUCK and keep us posted

ALSO WELCOME TO TREASURE NET !!!

OP
OP
F

firsttimer01

Aug 23, 2022
Ok Thats gives us a better idea. Where your going to hunt. Is it fresh water or Saltwater ? The reason i asked is the single frequency machines do not do as good as multi ones on salt water beaches. I guess i would start with the beach mode on the simplex. Try the Dry sand a bit I have better luck in the wet sand and into water maybe 4 foot deep. Be sure you have a nice long handled scoop. I dig EVERY SIGNAL . Practice how to pinpoint with your eyes closed then when you think you have it located open them and see how close to the target you are.
Learning how to swing and recover items fast is IMPORTANT !!!

GOOD LUCK and keep us posted

ALSO WELCOME TO TREASURE NET !!!
Thank you and I will. I was hoping y’all could tell me where I would have the best chances in the Ocean Springs area. What are the areas with known pirate activity? Thanks

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are MOST WE:COME and good luck !!!

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just purchased my first metal detector and am heading down to Ocean Springs, Mississippi for the weekend and want to metal detect beaches and/or inland sites where I have a decent chance of finding something worth while. Can any of you tell me where to look or have any advice? Thanks you.
Welcome.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum! Google is your friend, use it. I just tried pirates ocean city ms, and they do show a beach and do tell a little about the supposed treasure there (little or no proof that it is true). Good luck down there, pirate stuff is extremely rare and for sure there have been hundreds of people detecting the area for years, many with much more efficient machines. Like Gare says, your Simplex will not work well in the salt water or wet salt sand, you need either a pulse induction or a multi frequency machine for that, but you should be good to go in the dry sand. With luck you might find some recent jewelry drops up in the towel line. Inland will likely require permission from the land owner. Good luck down there and show us what you find please!!

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently Deus XP, also have 2 Minelab Explorer XS as backups.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the hobby! I don't know anything about that area, but please do make sure you have permission if you go on private land, or that it is allowed if public land. Don't even think about National Park land if there is any in that area. Best of luck to you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread