Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sell the 350 and get the fisher f4.

As for the meter reading, Garrett is not very good at getting the depth right. Contact Garrett customer service and they'll be glad to help you.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Turned a four inch (or very close) plug yesterday where 350 pinpointer mode indicated four inches and coin was stuck to bottom of plug . If target indicated as a coin and its not, depth is affected. A flat can that rings up a coin an crude example. If in my trying to explain it,you imagine only so many possibilities programmed, an i.d has to be made so unit makes its best guess.There are times it has difficulty doing so, perhaps there are multiple targets or iron around and other situations. Your swinging coil over target repeatedly is where you employ your guess in combination with your detectors. Some targets like a bottle cap ring up coin but a slow swing back and forth shows a "wide " target. I usually suggest digging it anyway,though if lazy later in a hunt or heading out I leave them. Small targets also if miss i.d.,d same thing, depth guess will be off usually. A round metal object is hard to resist for machine even if it is not certain of its composition, do we want it to debate, or skip it? Its doing better than we are,l.o.l.. Pin point mode tells depth to target,its not trying to define target so its very different! Our need then is careful recoveries so if our idea of depth is off , though pinpoint depth is often very close,we don,t damage target in retrieving it. You will find in time you still get fooled on occasion because your trying not to miss a possible good target ,that,s fine. Once in a great while it pays off and you want to keep doing it.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wayne's right, are you talking about the depth readout from pinpoint mode? It is A LOT more accurate than the depth readout on the screen.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At pro is same way but pinpoint is very close. I hardly look at screen anymore I can tell how deep it is most of time by sound. Good luck.

IBdiggin

Mar 21, 2013
Central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70,Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250, 2 Garrett pro-pointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depth readout is effected directly with increased numbers if not centered exactly over target. That will be the case with any brand detector. This is why pinpointing depths are more accurate than depths you get just swinging. The best results for target identification will be while located as close as possible to center of target. I generally pinpoint everything before even trying to make a determination as to what it is. Hope this helps--------IB

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If in coin mode and you ping a good target, you can pin point but pin point cancels coin mode and can pick up junk too. So you have to be careful on how you pin point. You could be off target

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
If you are starting out another common thing people forget is the height off the ground the search coil is will affect the depth. If the target it 4 inches deep and your coil is 4 inches off the ground there you go. When pinpointing and you are close make sure to put the coil as close to the ground as possible if not on the ground.

Do some air test disconnect the lower shaft with the coil attached and put it so you can see the screen readout. Use a yard stick or measure out marks and pass some coins across the coil and compair the depth. I think that's about the only way you will find out if it's miss calibrated but if I had to guess it's your swing height.

I would say if ALL your targets reading 8 inches then your swing height is your problem because even if your machine is misreading depth you would get 2in targets at 4 or 6 inches and so on.

Last edited:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
running with the Ace 150,,,, without them features i run 3 bars on the sensitivity, and in jewelery mode , some targets read from surface 0-2 in to 6-+ in when they are on or near the surface,,, and from time to time i find it necessary to turn it off and recheck all connections and check the battery's , never trust the display to be accurate ,, i pulled wheats out that ring in as iron , happy huntinn

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also detectors are programmed to calculate pin point depth based on an object the size of a coin.
If the object is larger than a coin it will read like it is closer to the coil. If the object is small like a lead bullet (found these with 350) it will read out as being quite deep when it is not deep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread