Help deciding on new detector treasure pro vs at pro

JakeM

Greenie
Jan 16, 2016
Seacoast, NH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, I'm trying to decide on which detector I should go with. I'm looking for a good all around detector that I can take to the beach both salt and fresh water. I also plan on taking it to parks, and on cellar hunts. I've been eyeballing the Whites treasure pro, and the Garett AT pro. I know they are technically in two different classes but the treasure pro according to reviews seems to be a standout in its class. Will I be leaving finds in the ground with the treasure pro? Any input is appreciated, also any other suggestions are welcome.

Upvote 0

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my AT Pro. Done very well. Tricky in salt water but would not give it up for anything.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you're itching to get out and hunt right away, you may want to wait to see the reviews on the new White's MX before making your decision.

OP
OP
J

JakeM

Greenie
Jan 16, 2016
Seacoast, NH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you're itching to get out and hunt right away, you may want to wait to see the reviews on the new White's MX before making your decision.

Thank you guys for your responses. The MX sport looks like exactly what I'm looking for, I just hope it's not going to cost $1,300 as one member said it was.

Last edited:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own both these detectors and can say that the AT Pro is better. It should be though as it costs $200 more. The treasurepro is as deep as the AT Pro but the AT Pro is better at target id and hits harder on coins. The backlight is nice on the treasurepro though but i prefer a machine that is better at telling me what is in the ground

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Pro. It's a better machine and the resale value is much better should you need to sell it.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
First off, you will always be leaving something in the ground. No place is ever really hunted out.

The AT Pro is good machine. It was my second machine, as I foolishly bought a low end detector ($200), used it twice, and realized that I was not going to do the trick for me. I used the AT Pro for 5 months (found: first silvers and IHCs), before moving to the Deus ($1300). I have been completely satisfied with the Deus. But, I digress.

You can't go wrong with the AT Pro, if you don't like it, you can sell it, and not lose too much of your investment. The machine works well! I did not like the weight or the wired headphones, but I am a sissy, it might not be an issue for you.

The saltwater is another animal all together. To be really effective in wet sand or saltwater, you will need a PI (pulse induction) machine. Minelabs Excaliber 2 seems to be the weapon of choice, but someone else will have to help you with that, as I don't hunt the saltwater.

PM if you have specific questions.
Best of luck to you sir!

OP
OP
J

JakeM

Greenie
Jan 16, 2016
Seacoast, NH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank's everyone for their input. I will wait a little bit until I make my decision, I also want to see a review of the whites MX sport. I found a whites MXT for just under $600 in my local craigslist. I like the idea of waterproof though... Decisions decisions.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

X2 What he said.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The saltwater is another animal all together. To be really effective in wet sand or saltwater, you will need a PI (pulse induction) machine. Minelabs Excaliber 2 seems to be the weapon of choice, but someone else will have to help you with that, as I don't hunt the saltwater.

Not a PI machine necessarily, a PI machine or a Multifrequency VLF machine designed for salt water. The AT Pro *can* work in salt water depending on what the sand is made up of. There are some beaches where the AT Pro works ok, and others where it does not work well. My best find in the salt water was with my AT Pro before I got a CZ-21. My CZ will go much deeper and more consistently than the AT Pro in salt water. AT Pro works great in fresh water though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions