help deciding which side of the river to hunt where civil war skirmish happened

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, I have an area on the Chattahoochee river in north Atlanta where there was a small skirmish between a confederate cavalry battalion was defending a bridge attacked by a Union cavalry regiment and the battle lasted all day.

ok, where to hunt. the confederates where on the south side of the river and the union on the north side of the river and the bridge was not destroyed at the time of the battle. should I hunt on the south side where confederates were defending or the north side of the river. I have no idea what their position were at the time. Where would the defenders be on the north side of the bridge defending it? That is what I think, but maybe there is a reason for them to be on the south side so they don't get caught with their back to the river and no escape?

what do you guys think?

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would hunt the south side and also the north side as well....and then I would hunt in between as well. Leave no stone unturned.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd hunt the South side since Confederate relics are more rare and therefore more sought after. Then if you don't hit the jackpot I'd hit the North side so you get something in your pouch lol.

HI-McDunnogh

Sep 7, 2018
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As villagenut mentioned, I'd hunt it everywhere if you are able to. Is there a reason you can't hunt both?

Have you checked the Library of Congress site for maps and/or information regarding the battle that might help you delineate more specifically where the battle occurred? I was looking at a similar site here in VA. There was no battle but lots of movement in the area. Found a passage from a solider at the LOC that indicated where they camped in relation to a landmark that is still there today.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Both Sides.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread