blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I received my Garrett at pro today and I need some help. When I turn the iron disc up to say 35 the metal detector lets my know Iron is there with a beep. I thought the hole point of turning the iron disc up was to eliminate the iron sound I can even turn it up to 40 and it will still beep if the iron is at 20.

And no I don't have the iron audio on. And the sensitivity is two bars down from max.

Upvote 0

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am using pro mode and zero and then I turn the disc up to 35 and when something is lower than that number it beeps really fast. For a second I watched all the Garrett videos on YouTube even there officially YouTube channel.

I run in the same mode and what is being described sounds normal. My guess is its foil or some other material that reads in a range below to slightly above 35. I would not go any higher than 35 because I think you start missing things. My question is does it sound scratchy? Are you at the beach? It it is, then it's small foil or scrap tin.

My advice is to put in some hours and learn the sounds.....dig everything!

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I am not at the beach. And yes it does sound a little scratchy. If I put the iron disc up to 35 and the target says 25 it beeps scratchy really fast is that normal. Sorry just trying to learn this new metal detector.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No I am not at the beach. And yes it does sound a little scratchy. If I put the iron disc up to 35 and the target says 25 it beeps scratchy really fast is that normal. Sorry just trying to learn this new metal detector.

Yes. That sounds normal to me. Aside from foil I mentioned earlier, I have noticed rusty bottle caps will jump from the 20's to 70's and make a similar sounds but longer tones. As an FYI, I always turn the sensitivity up all the way up on the ATP. To me, it seems to help me get better signals.

Good luck.

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So it is normal to hear a sound if I turn the iron disc up to 35 and the target is say a 25 to produce a quick scratchy noise even though I have the iron disc up to 35.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So it is normal to hear a sound if I turn the iron disc up to 35 and the target is say a 25 to produce a quick scratchy noise even though I have the iron disc up to 35.

You will get tones and VDI's all over the place on some iron depending on the size and shape and depth and soil your hunting in. A nice pointy rusty square nail can sound real good. A big rusty washer can scream silver if the conditions are right. Some times you just have to smile and say "you got me on that one". Practice, practice, practice and a little luck helps too.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will get tones and VDI's all over the place on some iron depending on the size and shape and depth and soil your hunting in. A nice pointy rusty square nail can sound real good. A big rusty washer can scream silver if the conditions are right. Some times you just have to smile and say "you got me on that one". Practice, practice, practice and a little luck helps too.

Well said..couldn't agree more. Completely normal sounds.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yea, Because it if it reads it good at first then relizes its junk, it usally will still make a slight Iron noise to sorta tell you its junk. The Iron Audio drowns out the high tone if its coming from Iron.

The More you use it, you will start seeing why its doing it. Its sometimes a good thing it does that..that tells me to move on

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions