Help identifying rock/mineral

Kathleen Anne

Jan 18, 2018
Grapeview, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCF5533.JPG DSCF5534.JPG DSCF5579.JPG DSCF5578.JPG
I have a rock wall in my yard that was constructed in the early 1930's. It is made entirely of petrified wood, quartz, and others that I am trying to identify. The cement in the wall is starting to crumble and some of these rocks are falling out. I have sold some on ebay and some I keep for my collection. This particular one caught my eye because of the crystals surrounding something else. I'm not sure what it is. Thank you for your help.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting some interesting stuff mining that wall :) Looks to me like you now have a geode with calicite filling the vug. Interesting combination. Those rock hounds were having some fun in the day.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm wondering if the host-rock is limestone?

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hrm, I'm not seeing limestone and the clear crystals are not calcite in my opinion. The rind looks like chalcedony/agate banding and the surface of the rind that I can see shows large coarse grains some semi-crystalline. I have seen geode vugs that have combinations of quartz and calcite and thats what this one appears to be. With this stone I cant say for sure if its a geode or just a vug taken or erroded out of a host rock.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread