"Hitlers Hollywood"

Jones Indiana

Dec 24, 2010
"Hitler's Hollywood"

article-0-1238C42E000005DC-163_634x448.jpg

POSTED ON MARCH 19, 2012, AT 6:20 PM

Adolf Hitler's planned Hollywood hideout has become little more than a rotting, graffiti-stained ruin.
Back in the 1930s, Adolf Hitler's American sympathizers had big, "bizarre" dreams. They hoped that Germany would triumph in World War II, so they built him a swanky retreat in the hills above Hollywood, where they imagined he would one day mingle with movie stars ... and "rule the world." What would the fascist dictator's Tinseltown hideout have been like? Here, a brief guide:

Wait, Americans actually built Hitler's dream ranch?
Yes. A wealthy couple, Winona and Norman Stephens, who were followers of the Silver Shirts, American supporters of Hitler, had purchased the 55-acre property in 1933 from screen cowboy Will Rogers. Then they struck up correspondence with a German man they knew only as Herr Schmidt. Schmidt, as it turns out, was Hitler's agent in America, who eventually convinced the Stephens to invest $4 million to turn the property into a fortified palace for Hitler. "This was supposed to be the seat of American fascism from where Hitler would one day rule the United States," says historian Randy Young.

What is the property like?
Today, it's a graffiti-stained ruin. But in the 1930s, it was outfitted with a diesel power plant, a 375,000-gallon concrete water tank, and a giant meat locker — everything a community of Hollywood Nazi sympathisizers figured they'd need to ride out the war and await Hitler's arrival. The property also had a bomb shelter and guards all around. Eventually, the plan was to add libraries, a swimming pool, a gym, and elegant dining rooms. "They may have been Nazis, but they were Nazis with taste," says Young. But the plans fell apart before the U.S. even entered the war.

What happened?
The day after Pearl Harbor was attacked, police raided the bunker. There were about 50 Silver Shirts living there, and they were all arrested. Local authorities now plan to tear down the ruins — located about a mile from Schindler's List director Steven Spielberg's home — and turn the spot into a picnic area for hikers.

Source: http://theweek.com/article/index/225754/hitlers-bizarre-plan-to-rule-the-world-from-hollywood

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: "Hitler's Hollywood"

but vaut else might day haff buried buried on der grounds ? :icon_pirat: one hass to vunder .

after their arrest and final release years later after the wars end -- I bet they avoided the place like death itself -- so anything they "buried" there is most likely still there -- I'll bet they would have never returned to try to 'reclaim' anything buried there for fearing being "rearrested" at a later date. -- I'm sure they were put on a FBI "watch list" post war.

they also clearly had "large sums" of money availible to them , for their use.

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "Hitler's Hollywood"

Super cool sliver of history...

adrielme

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2012
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe I've never heard of this place. I'm born and raised in LA and had no idea. I think I'll be going on a hike pretty soon to check the place out.

RobinsonJames

May 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey dude same here, I also don't know the place where it is, and what's the location. Tell me dude.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe I've never heard of this place. I'm born and raised in LA and had no idea. I think I'll be going on a hike pretty soon to check the place out.

Heard of it years ago, But never researched it.
never really had a curiosity about the Man or the era.

it's Very sad if they tear down History though, just because it dosn't fit their Ideal of what history should be.

If it can be Hunted, do it. I agree with Ivan, there is most definitely History & treasures there.
All you need is the ability to know what treasure is.

careful "Ole Addi" he may be waiting
for more trout in butter sauce :laughing7:
images.jpeg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread