Hobo Nickels

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Today while reading BuffaloBoy's July 4th thread on nickels there was a link provided by Diver_down to a good article, Silver Nickels and Steel Cents Replaced Regular U.S. Coins During World War II - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com and while reading further I noticed another article on Hobo Nickels by the same author that lead me to this site, Original Hobo Nickel Society.

I'm sure I must have heard about them in the past, grew up in a Railroad family and worked as a Towerman for 13 years, but I don't recall having seen anything about them recently. I thought they were real neat and would love to find one in the wild and they are one more thing I will be keeping my eye out for from now on. It was amazing what they were able to do with them. I was wondering if anyone here had ever found any or heard of anyone finding one. There were more pictures at the website but I tried to bring a few.

landis_masterpiece.jpg 450_ebay_thomas.jpg 382_ebay.jpg 330_gonzales_ebay.jpg landis_pp.jpg ebay_hunt_257.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice art, especially the first one. For some reason, they are usually 1937 nickels.

Sleazyj

Mar 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never found one but I've seen one before. Most are probably pulled out by now and since the coins were altered some machines will spit them out.

OP
OP
M

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
The article said that there are new ones still being made but that they aren't as valuable as the old real ones that were made using only hand tools. While I'm also sure most if not all were pulled by now, there is always that chance of the youngster who needs some beer or cig money spending the loose change that was just sitting there in dad's or grandpa's dresser drawer or any of the many other ways that silver coins find there way back into the wild.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always had hobo nickels at the top of my bucket list. That would be an awesome hit if anyone found one in the wild. Some are truly works of art.
apush

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread