Holiday Silver?

Dannycoco

Jun 2, 2016
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been working in this retirement community track siding new houses. There is a bank within walking distance and I stop in every Monday and buy all the coin that they will sell. All denominations. Yesterday the teller says she has $190 in halves in the vault. I buy them all of course. Get out to my truck and see a couple older looking rolls. Pop one open and out pour a bunch of Franklins and a few walkers. Open the other roll and it’s solid 1964’s. The wrapper had 21 - 1964 Kennedy written on it so I count them. Sure enough there’s 21 in the roll. My first solid roll of 90%ers. Holiday silver? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1574168118.011336.jpg

Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Senior living areas is where a good chance of silver always shows up.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great haul! It's funny, when I mention to young people (I'm 68) that the dimes, quarters and half dollars from 1964 and older are 90% Silver, I always get a complete Blank Look! That might also be a reason that they are showing up at the banks!

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
WOW that is one nice surprise to pick up, so glad you were the one to save all that silver.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find!

Congrats on a great haul! It's funny, when I mention to young people (I'm 68) that the dimes, quarters and half dollars from 1964 and older are 90% Silver, I always get a complete Blank Look! That might also be a reason that they are showing up at the banks!

Yeah, I'm younger... a few of my friends know their coins but others had never even heard of a "wheatie" or "merc" before.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome find!

Yeah, I'm younger... a few of my friends know their coins but others had never even heard of a "wheatie" or "merc" before.

Throw out some other code words of coins as: flying eagle, buffalo nic, V-nickel, barbers, SLQ, Walker, Benji,.....That should confuse them enough.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread