Hot Soil

jss1216

Apr 17, 2014
Shelton,Ct
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
So I am new to XP Detector not Metal Detecting—- so I have a question concerning “ Hot Soil”...
exactly what is it?
I have a lot of experience with Bounty Hunter and Garrett and have never had issues with soil but I hear a lot about Hot Soil in XP and ML forums and videos— so just wondering.

Can someone define it?

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Highly mineralized. Lots of iron.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot soil. All soil is not created equal. There are a lot of soil "types" out there. For instance, in not granite bearing and non black sandy soils, like in the US coastal plain, that soil is mainly sand with little minerals in it, and it is considered mild. In limestone country, that is also considered mild, very little mineralization. Now most sandy loams, soil with a lot of rotted vegetation built up over time, those soils are moderate, depending on what kind of rocks and minerals are in the ground. One of the best examples of heavy mineralized soils comes from central Virginia. We belovedly (not) call it the Horrid Red Dirt. There is an enormous amount of iron minerals in the soil, even gold, garnet and other accessory minerals. When there is a lot of metals (like iron) in the ground to begin with, your machine will act differently and most times not go as deep than on one of the friendlier soils, hence the term "hot" ground. A "hot" rock has so much mineralization in it that the rock itself will sound off when the machine goes over it. Here's a picture of "mild" soil and the horrid red Virginia dirt. The red is from the iron in the ground. View attachment IMG_0758.JPG Photos are shown with the soil wet.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tends to scatter target signals and make deep detection/ID of non-ferrous targets VERY difficult as Smokey said.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions