ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can old coins with high economic and historical value be cleaned? Or will they lose some of their value? If they can be cleaned, how should it be done?
The short answer and correct answer would be No... but in certain instances can be done for some coins.... each has its own circumstance.

Coins of little to no value can be cleaned ....... correctly.

Last edited:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleaning is the fastest way to damage a coin. Even rinsing in water and wiping with a cloth will leave permanent damage. Unless you really know what you are doing, don't do it!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleaning is the fastest way to damage a coin. Even rinsing in water and wiping with a cloth will leave permanent damage. Unless you really know what you are doing, don't do it!
Just how much will it damage a coin if you clean it. What would the value of a uncleaned coin then the value after you cleaned it ?

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me personally.

I wouldn’t clean a coin if it could be of historical importance or of potentially great numismatic value.

Luckily there are many resources available (such as this site) to find out if a coin might be historical or of value. If it has potential I’d then send it out to be conserved and graded.

Reactions: ARC

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Screen Shot 2023-11-29 at 8.42.47 AM.png

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just how much will it damage a coin if you clean it. What would the value of a uncleaned coin then the value after you cleaned it ?
There's really no set answer, it depends on the coin and how much damage was done. Could be a substantial amount though.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with lightly cleaning silver coins. I cleaned this 1878 cc seated dime with Dawn dish soap and warm water. I think it came out really nice and added value to the coin.

carson city 1 (3).JPG
zip seated dime obverse 2.jpeg

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s so cool that one of your dug coins graded. Many won’t grade due to “environmental damage”. Can I ask what ANACS charged you to grade it? About how long did it take?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was actually shocked that it came back without a "cleaned" or "environmental damage" designation. I'm not complaining, though!

I went with the five business day service, which costs $30 a coin. Then I had to pay $26 for insured shipping, plus the $10 I spent to ship it to them via priority mail. Total cost was $66, which isn't bad. PCGS and NGC would have charged me $125 to $150 to get it graded.

The total turnaround time was two weeks, which was very fast, considering that I live in Rhode Island and they're based in Colorado....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread